Testing Voltage-rated Gloves

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have recently formed a new group in our refinery to conduct medium & high voltage (35kV) switching. Pre-Katrina this duty was contracted third party. The switching will now be conducted by inhouse personnel. We are in the process of purchasing flash suits, gloves, blankets, etc.
Please direct me to the section in NFPA 70E showing the frequency (number of months) required for the testing of gloves, blankets, etc.
Under 250.2 (A), it states; visual before each use with intervals not to exceed one year. (B) states; testing shall not exceed 3 years.
I have heard (smoke pen gossip) 6 months is required, but I can't find this info.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Southeast Louisiana

bphgravity

If I were you, I would perform visual inspection and testing before each use. This is not something you want to perform at the minimum.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NFPA 70E table 130.7(C)(8) lists the Standards for protective equipment. See ASTM F 496-02 for the care of gloves and sleeves.250.2(B) requires PPE to be tested per applicable standards and instructions.

H.L.

Gloves are to be dialectrically tested every 6 months. The exception to this is if the gloves are brand new and unopened. They should be visually inspected before each use. Also, they should be air tested before each use as well. An NFPA 70E calss wuold be in order.

H.L.

Status
Not open for further replies.