Texas and GFCIs for A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This will be of interest to the Texas sparkys:
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF LICENSING & REGULATION
On Tuesday, May 18, the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation held an emergency meeting in response to an imminent threat to public health and safety. It has been found that compliance with Section 210.8(F) of the 2020 National Electrical Code (NEC) can interfere with the proper functioning of certain types of air conditioning and heating systems. With summer heat approaching in Texas, failed or malfunctioning air-conditioning systems can pose a danger to public health and safety.

To help alleviate this threat, the Commission voted to amend rules in the Electricians and Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors programs to delay the effective date of Section 210.8(F) of the 2020 NEC until January 1, 2023.

“There’s a large and growing concern from air conditioning and refrigeration stakeholders, supported by anecdotal and empirical evidence, that adding GFCI protection to air conditioning and heat pump equipment that uses DC Inverter technology can cause repeated tripping of the circuit protection, making the systems effectively inoperable,” said William Weatherly, TDLR Program Chief and Chief Inspector for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration. “To protect public health and safety, agency staff took quick action to have this issue reviewed by the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation.”

Specifically, the rules amended were 16 Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Chapter 73, §73.100 in the Electricians program rules, and 16 TAC, Chapter 75, §75.100 in the Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors rules.

The amendments are effective May 20, 2021 and expire in 120 days, unless renewed by the Commission. TDLR has begun working on non-emergency rulemaking to implement this change on a permanent basis.

What does Section 210.8(F) of the 2020 NEC do?

Section 210.8(F) of the 2020 NEC requires that certain outdoor outlets for dwellings supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less, have ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) protection. The emergency rules adopted by the Commission would remove this requirement until January 1, 2023.

Why is this change being made?

There have been widespread reports of certain types of air conditioning units connected to a GFCI device not being compatible with the GFCI protection, which causes the GFCI device to trip. This incompatibility poses a substantial risk to the health and safety of all Texans who rely on air conditioning, especially during the summer months.

What does this change mean for electricians and air conditioning and refrigeration contractors?

Beginning May 20, 2021, neither electrical contractors nor air conditioning and refrigeration contractors will be required to comply with the requirement of Section 210.8(F) of GFCI protection for certain outdoor outlets until January 1, 2023.

A code-compliant installation, with emphasis on a proper bonding of the equipment to the equipment grounding conductor and to the electrical grounding system, will ensure electrical safety for fault conditions, even when terminated to a normal overcurrent protection device.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This practice of the NEC mandating things that are not ready for prime time is really getting out of hand. Not only is our grid becoming less reliable (for a number of reasons including "greening") but inside wiring systems are also becoming less reliable due to this nonsense. I'm all for technical advancements and improving safety but some of this stuff needs much more time to be researched and mature before making it code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This practice of the NEC mandating things that are not ready for prime time is really getting out of hand. Not only is our grid becoming less reliable (for a number of reasons including "greening") but inside wiring systems are also becoming less reliable due to this nonsense. I'm all for technical advancements and improving safety but some of this stuff needs much more time to be researched and mature before making it code.
Yes, the effective date for this should have been sometime in the future, as hard wired equipment is not currently required to be evaluated for use with GFCIs and the product standards permit leakage current for hard wired equipment that exceeds the trip point of a Class A GFCI.
There are also reports of issues with the high frequency leakage current from equipment that have VFDs. More and more cooling and refrigeration equipment have drives for the compressors.

sw_ross

North Dakota also amended this requirement for DC inverter style A/C units.
The electrician is required to fill out an application form stating the make and model of the product and it has to be approved by the AHJ.

kwired

Electron manager
My recollection is there was an electrocution where there was missing or compromised EGC to an AC unit that prompted this change to require GFCI's here. Been my opinion all along that maybe the EGC should have been done correctly and this don't happen, but anyway...

Sorry for whoever was impacted but would be kind of funny if that electrocution that triggered this had happened in Texas.

My recollection is there was an electrocution where there was missing or compromised EGC to an AC unit that prompted this change to require GFCI's here. Been my opinion all along that maybe the EGC should have been done correctly and this don't happen, but anyway...

That is what I heard as well:. Obviously sad and a tragedy, but I don't think one incident should trigger complete adoption of GFCI for this equipment.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
They are trying to overprotect an installation with a faulty equipment ground. It's about time someone put the brakes on a little. Maybe the code making panels will smarten up...I doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.