Thanks everyone for teaching me how to do a big conduit project. (Not so simple)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Installer

I guess for most of you running 1" PVC conduit is not a big deal, but this was the first time for me. And though you would think its simple , I found there really are a lot of details to getting it done, like selecting the right fittings and transitioning from PVC to RMC for the last twenty feet .
Someone here advised me to run the wire twenty feet at a time, then add a stick, then pull another twenty feet rather than make a 450' pull.
Someone else told me the stuff is flexible. It was--like a garden hose--and we did it all above the trench and then kicked it in.
If i weren't for this forum, we would still be out there...now for the Transformer part of the project...

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not sure who told you to piece meal it but as stated above it should be one run with no more than 360° of bends. Looks good though

nickelec

I would certainly drag that before you back fill unless you did it like mentioned above stick by stick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MAC702

As for the two 45-degree bends instead of a single 90, you wouldn't normally want to do that on purpose. We've all done it when "that's what's on the truck today," but it would be slightly more difficult to pull than a single sweep because the two 45's have two peaks that the pull has to break over. Still doable though, and I'm sure you had your reason for doing it, but since you are new at this, it's worth mentioning.

I also agree it's usually a lot faster to make the pipe run all at once and then pull the long run of wire. I don't care that Code requires it, but that's true, too. There are plenty of times it's better to do it as you build it.

Installer

Did the straight run 400' run first and left 90 feet of wire and then worked from the beginning of the straight pull backwards through the angles to the beginning.
I respect the codes greatly but that's all I could manage . Well I learned and I'll do it correctly the next time.

As for the two 45-degree bends instead of a single 90, you wouldn't normally want to do that on purpose. We've all done it when "that's what's on the truck today," but it would be slightly more difficult to pull than a single sweep because the two 45's have two peaks that the pull has to break over. Still doable though, and I'm sure you had your reason for doing it, but since you are new at this, it's worth mentioning.

I also agree it's usually a lot faster to make the pipe run all at once and then pull the long run of wire. I don't care that Code requires it, but that's true, too. There are plenty of times it's better to do it as you build it.

ritelec

??? can you verify that?

I would (and do) treat it like plumbing and install back to back 45's... the two 45"s would be a longer sweep. I guess I understand the breaking at the peaks but..I don't know about that one :blink:

ritelec

I would certainly drag that before you back fill unless you did it like mentioned above stick by stick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would use a thhn (saw rope and drags cut through 90's when pulling) or something similiar with plenty of lube while putting it together....
reminds me of a guy I worked for once.. ( same guy who I told I needed rope for a pull and he gave me a roll of 1 1/2" hemp 60 year old rope ????)
he had a 400 amp service about 300 + feet underground to a building. he didn't have a puller.. I had left him by this time but talked to a guy that was still with him.. he had them lay out the wire and sleeve the pipe over the wires in this muddy trench..smh

Installer

I didn't show you the Guard Wire. So it was 1/0 and the first 100 feet were okay, dragging it down the trench. The last 100 were really bad. 20/20 back sight. Should have tied it to the backhoe and him drive down the length of the trench. Sometimes I laugh about how stupid I am

I would use a thhn (saw rope and drags cut through 90's when pulling) or something similiar with plenty of lube while putting it together....
reminds me of a guy I worked for once.. ( same guy who I told I needed rope for a pull and he gave me a roll of 1 1/2" hemp 60 year old rope ????)
he had a 400 amp service about 300 + feet underground to a building. he didn't have a puller.. I had left him by this time but talked to a guy that was still with him.. he had them lay out the wire and sleeve the pipe over the wires in this muddy trench..smh

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Pulling with a truck or backhoe/ piece of equipment is (I've done it) not my idea of the best way, little control of torque.
You do know you can bend small pvc with a pipe bender? So your 45s could have just been pipe, be careful watch for flattening.

Did the straight run 400' run first and left 90 feet of wire and then worked from the beginning of the straight pull backwards through the angles to the beginning.
I respect the codes greatly but that's all I could manage . Well I learned and I'll do it correctly the next time.

Thats a dumb code, I have no trouble violating it. I am also a one man show so often its easier (or the only way really) to sleeve the pipe over the wire, or leave that last 90 off for the pull, or some other shenanigans to get the job done :angel:

??? can you verify that?

I would (and do) treat it like plumbing and install back to back 45's... the two 45"s would be a longer sweep. I guess I understand the breaking at the peaks but..I don't know about that one :blink:

I recall someone on here saying that a pulling tension calculator doesnt show less tension for a larger radius bend. I dont really believe it works out that way though. I dont think they are taking into account the force to "form" and then "un-form" the conductors as they travel through the sweep.

kwired

Electron manager
Thats a dumb code, I have no trouble violating it. I am also a one man show so often its easier (or the only way really) to sleeve the pipe over the wire, or leave that last 90 off for the pull, or some other shenanigans to get the job done :angel:
Us one man crews find ways to get it done. I did 800 feet run not too long ago to a center pivot irrigation machine. Tied a sheave to the pivot (hanging above where raceway emerged on that end). Ran conductors off the reel, through the sheave, and into raceway, other end was not finished yet, tied pull rope to backhoe and could watch the reels as I backed up to pull. Had to make up the far end with conductors inside though, but made it easy to pull, and is easier than sliding pipe over the wire for all 800 feet, done that many times before, gets old fast on most irrigation applications.

ritelec

Us one man crews find ways to get it done.

Set up multiple conductors pulling off reals last week (12's 14's) into conduits that I couldnt see the conductors coming off the reals while I was pulling. My major concern was if the conductors were damaged during manufacturing and I pulled that buggered wire into the conduit without knowing.
So although it would be nice to have extra hands sometimes... it would also be nice to have extra eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.