That old Romex question again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garywayne2u

Occupation
Electrical Maintenance Tech
Hello all. Got a question. I am wiring an office building for a family member's used car lot. The building was a two story split level residential home with a basement that is being converted to an office.
My question is, can I use romex in this building?
The NEC is a little confusing saying that it's permitted in type 3,4,5 buildings (Other structures permitted to be of Types III, IV, and V construction except as prohibited in 334.12.) but 334.12 states :
(A) Types NM and NMC. Types NM and NMC cables shall not be used as follows:

(1) In any dwelling or structure not specifically permitted in 334.10(1), (2), (3), and (5).

(2) Exposed within a dropped or suspended ceiling cavity in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.

(3) As service-entrance cable.

(4) In commercial garages having hazardous (classified) locations as defined in 511.3.

(5) In theaters and similar locations, except where permitted in 518.4(B).

(6) In motion picture studios.

(7) In storage battery rooms.

(8) In hoistways or on elevators or escalators.

(9) Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate.

(10) In hazardous (classified) locations, except where specifically permitted by other articles in this Code.

(11) In hotels, motels, commercial, mercantile, industrial, institutional, and public buildings.

(B) Type NM. Type NM cable shall not be used as follows:

(1) Where exposed to corrosive fumes or vapors.

(2) Where embedded in masonry, concrete, adobe, fill, or plaster.

(3) In a shallow chase in masonry, concrete, or adobe and covered with plaster, adobe, or similar finish.

(4) In wet or damp locations.

It looks to me like Romex is NOT permitted in this building CAN SOMEONE VERIFY THIS??
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
334.12 states :
(A) Types NM and NMC. Types NM and NMC cables shall not be used as follows:

(1) In any dwelling or structure not specifically permitted in 334.10(1), (2), (3), and (5).

(2) Exposed within a dropped or suspended ceiling cavity in other than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings.

(3) As service-entrance cable.

(4) In commercial garages having hazardous (classified) locations as defined in 511.3.

(5) In theaters and similar locations, except where permitted in 518.4(B).

(6) In motion picture studios.

(7) In storage battery rooms.

(8) In hoistways or on elevators or escalators.

(9) Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate.

(10) In hazardous (classified) locations, except where specifically permitted by other articles in this Code.

(11) In hotels, motels, commercial, mercantile, industrial, institutional, and public buildings.
What code cycle is this from?

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
The highlighted portion in your post is not familiar to me. But we are still on the 2017 in California.

In the few commercial building I’ve wired, mostly bars, restaurant, offices and such, I can use romex where it is contained in a 30 minute firewall.

So underneath in the crawl space it was BX. In the ceiling assembly it was BX. When I dropped down a wall that had drywall on both sides, or masonry on one and drywall on the other, I could switch to NM if I wanted.

garywayne2u

Occupation
Yes, not local to me, but seems to be from South Dakota. Long way from me.
So does the latest iteration of 334.12 state (11) In hotels, motels, commercial, mercantile, industrial, institutional, and public buildings.
or something similar?

garywayne2u

Occupation
The highlighted portion in your post is not familiar to me. But we are still on the 2017 in California.

In the few commercial building I’ve wired, mostly bars, restaurant, offices and such, I can use romex where it is contained in a 30 minute firewall.

So underneath in the crawl space it was BX. In the ceiling assembly it was BX. When I dropped down a wall that had drywall on both sides, or masonry on one and drywall on the other, I could switch to NM if I wanted.
Thanks. Much appreciated

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The only code cycle to worry about is what Georgia is using now.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, not local to me, but seems to be from South Dakota. Long way from me.
So does the latest iteration of 334.12 state (11) In hotels, motels, commercial, mercantile, industrial, institutional, and public buildings.
or something similar?
There is not, nor has there never been an (11) in section 334.12 of the NEC.

Last edited:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Local amendments to 334.12 and or article 518 that basically expand article 518 to all commercial work used to be pretty common.
Some cities like L.A. and Chicago used to just delete article 334 all together (I think Chicago still might).
Also engineers frequently specify MC in plans for commercial spaces that code would not require it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Local amendments to 334.12 and or article 518 that basically expand article 518 to all commercial work used to be pretty common.
Some cities like L.A. and Chicago used to just delete article 334 all together (I think Chicago still might).
Also engineers frequently specify MC in plans for commercial spaces that code would not require it.
Chicago's 2018 electrical code which is a highly modified version of the 2017 NEC still has Article 334, but they have amended the uses permitted.
“Uses Permitted. Type NM and Type NMC cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:
(1) Temporary wiring for branch circuits as permitted in 590.4(C)
(2) Temporary wiring as permitted for feeders as permitted in 590.4(B)
(3) Limited extensions to knob-and-tube lighting or appliance branch circuits in existing dwelling units in buildings not exceeding three stories in height.”

norcal

According to the host of this forum GA is on the infamous 2020.

garywayne2u

Occupation
According to the host of this forum GA is on the infamous 2020.

Infamous 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.