The age old question of how many receptacles is a duplex receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

It seems that with the FPN after the definition for duplex Receptacles that a duplex receptacle does indeed constitute 2 receptacles for the purposes of, among other thing, hospital bed locations. Realizing that Fine Print Notes change nothing, but recognizing that they don’t put them in there to mislead either, I now assume that has always been so. Am I correct.

Can I now put a quad one one side of a general patient bed location and quad on the other side and be done with it?

Many thanks,

Mike

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
It seems that with the FPN after the definition for duplex Receptacles that a duplex receptacle does indeed constitute 2 receptacles for the purposes of, among other thing, hospital bed locations. Realizing that Fine Print Notes change nothing, but recognizing that they don’t put them in there to mislead either, I now assume that has always been so. Am I correct.

Can I now put a quad one one side of a general patient bed location and quad on the other side and be done with it?

Many thanks,

Mike
Well I know for the purposes of load calculation, the NEC considers a duplex receptacle or triplex receptacle a single 180 VA load. As far as what the designers of the hospital are looking for, you might want to clarify what they want.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

mshields

Understood - but I am focused on hospital beds. For general care a total of 8 receptacles are required and for critical, I believe it’s 14. I have to date therefore at a general care bed 4 duplex on one side of the bed and 4 duplex on the other. I am now pursuaded that I have been giving them twice as many receptacles as the code requires. This is fine since more is not problematic. BUT what I’m looking for here is the letter of the code. The bear minimum. I believe 2 duplex on each side so that I can plug in 8 separate devices IS code compliant. I’m looking for confirmation that this is accurate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think what the OP is questioning is if a duplex receptacle constitutes 2 receptacles in this situation.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
Well that isn't clear but since 8 single receptacles are allowed I would think that 4 duplex receptacles would work. The only problem would be if those areas use wall warts-- I don't think they do but my reading of the sections is that 4 duplexes would work. Where's Roger when we need him

Status
Not open for further replies.