The apprentice with a question about the physics or characteristics of electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelersman

iaov said:
Always, always remember. This stuff can kill you. Someone is killed by 120 vts. every day in the USA. There are old electricians and there are bold electricians. There are no old bold electricians!!
If what some people have said about old guys that they used to know using their fingers to test panels and circuits and the like then that statement is wrong! :)

steelersman

Rewire said:
its not the volts its the amps
wow that is (no offense intended) got to be one of the most ignorant replies to a post I've read since I've been here I think. It has nothing to do with what he wa saying and I would venture to say that 99% of the members here already know that.

Rewire

steelersman said:
wow that is (no offense intended) got to be one of the most ignorant replies to a post I've read since I've been here I think. It has nothing to do with what he wa saying and I would venture to say that 99% of the members here already know that.
nothing like being "politely"told you are ignorant but you have only been here a short while and have not yet learned to use PMs to question someones intelligence I will let it pass,what I was pointing out was for the OP not for the oldtimers on the board and it was that "shock" is a product of amperage so saying 112V shock or 120V shock may confuse some who are not versed in electrical theory

fireryan

i think what the op is asking is what circumstances would need to be present to get killed from touching a 120v receptacle. I think

steelersman

Rewire said:
nothing like being "politely"told you are ignorant but you have only been here a short while and have not yet learned to use PMs to question someones intelligence I will let it pass,what I was pointing out was for the OP not for the oldtimers on the board and it was that "shock" is a product of amperage so saying 112V shock or 120V shock may confuse some who are not versed in electrical theory
So if you were addressing the OP then perhaps you should have quoted his OP instead of Charlie's. And I've been using PM quite a bit FYI. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
steelersman said:
wow that is (no offense intended) got to be one of the most ignorant replies to a post I've read since I've been here I think.
Gee, how could anybody find that comment offensive? :roll:

LarryFine said:
Gee, how could anybody find that comment offensive? :roll:

Knowing what the word actually means helps to decide:

ig?no?rant Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\ Function: adjective Date: 14th century 1 a: destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society> ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

So while we commonly interpret 'ignorant' as 'stupid', it merely reflects on plainly lacking knowledge of the subject.

I take issue with the 'most ignorant', as there are numerous posts have been posted with far more lack of knowledge than the one in question.:D

I think the OP's use of language and expression did not help though, however the substance was interesting and it showed that the 'apprentice' is really trying to understand. He was thinking and his thgoughts had merit showing a progress of deepening understanding of the subject. Not unlike Einstein who did not come to the theory of relativity in HS, bot had taken a lot of thinking until he got there.

Rewire

steelersman said:
So if you were addressing the OP then perhaps you should have quoted his OP instead of Charlie's. And I've been using PM quite a bit FYI. :)
perhaps you should have put some thought into the tone of your post ,this is a very polite board and I have noticed that I seldom see someone being caracterized as "ignorant" in what the post I know that name calling and mud slinnging our common place on many boards but this board has always held to a higher standard by the very people who choose to be a part of it that is one of the reasons I enjoy it as much as I do

steelersman

Rewire said:
perhaps you should have put some thought into the tone of your post ,this is a very polite board and I have noticed that I seldom see someone being caracterized as "ignorant" in what the post I know that name calling and mud slinnging our common place on many boards but this board has always held to a higher standard by the very people who choose to be a part of it that is one of the reasons I enjoy it as much as I do
That doesn't change the fact that you didn't address the OP but instead chose to address Charlie's statement instead making your post seem quite pointless. Sorry but I'm just calling it like I see it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
steelersman said:
That doesn't change the fact that you didn't address the OP but instead chose to address Charlie's statement instead making your post seem quite pointless.
I think you're the only one that seems to have a problem with Rewire and Charlie's conversation.

steelersman said:
Sorry but I'm just calling it like I see it.

So you have been here a couple of months now and you have never seen a thread where two, three, four, or more individuals will enter into a discussion that drifts away from the OP?

You better hang on to your hat because not only does it happen, it happens on a regular basis.

Roger

steelersman

roger said:
I think you're the only one that seems to have a problem with Rewire and Charlie's conversation.

So you have been here a couple of months now and you have never seen a thread where two, three, four, or more individuals will enter into a discussion that drifts away from the OP?

You better hang on to your hat because not only does it happen, it happens on a regular basis.

Roger
I know that they often drift off topic and I have no problem with that at all, as I have often been part of that myself. But if you're going to reply to something then just reply to the right quote.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What makes you think he wasn't replying to the right quote? He quoted Charlie and replied to it.

Roger

fireryan

maybe we should quit arguing and get beack to the topic. what are the circumstances that could cause contact with a 120v receptacle to be fatal? Anyone????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.