The good, the bad and the wago's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

Found any good YouTube electricians you like watching?

Yes, videos put on by the poco, Dominion Power here in VA, regarding step potential are excellent, also I think there was one called Sparky Channel that was very good as well. Most of the videos I was watching though were non electricians trying to do electrical work. Videos that show the mathematics are also helpful, and animated videos showing Oddities like what happens in a 3-way circuit that is wired Carter or Chicago style.

I have even seen one that is a Maytag factory video on how to put a cord on your dryer. Was absolutely terrible. And before you ask, yes I know how to put a cord on a dryer, I was watching it because another person posted the video link.

Of course Mike Holt's videos are hands-down the best and I'm not just saying that because it's his site.

Videos of a how to nature though are frequently lacking in either detail or execution. For the above-mentioned example of the video I was looking for, landing branch circuit wiring on a receptacle, there was more than one that had code violations in the demonstration. One guy even tried to explain how a self grounding receptacle would bond a plastic box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have even seen one that is a Maytag factory video on how to put a cord on your dryer. Was absolutely terrible. And before you ask, yes I know how to put a cord on a dryer, I was watching it because another person posted the video link.
Funny, your mentioning that reminded of a job I did several years ago. I converted a 3-wire dryer to 4-wire. I actually had to delve inside the machine and found a soldered-and-sleeved connection between the white and green wires within the wiring harness.

JFletcher

Funny, your mentioning that reminded of a job I did several years ago. I converted a 3-wire dryer to 4-wire. I actually had to delve inside the machine and found a soldered-and-sleeved connection between the white and green wires within the wiring harness.

Wow, the only ones I have seen have a small bonding jumper from the neutral lug to the frame.

I am a bit surprised that no manufacturers I know of have a selector switch for the internal bond, along with cords with connectors on them that just plug into the appliance ala some models of PTAC. Would make installation for their techs much faster. Simply plug in the right 3 or 4 prong cord, and set the selector switch to the "3" or "4". Or bypass selector switch all together and have the three wire cord with a jumper from neutral to ground in the cord end plug itself.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am a bit surprised that no manufacturers I know of have a selector switch for the internal bond, along with cords with connectors on them that just plug into the appliance ala some models of PTAC. Would make installation for their techs much faster. Simply plug in the right 3 or 4 prong cord, and set the selector switch to the "3" or "4". Or bypass selector switch all together and have the three wire cord with a jumper from neutral to ground in the cord end plug itself.

I'm not surprised at all. That sounds like it would add two dollars to the price making the product less competitive. You can only make a product more expensive vs. your competition if you're adding a feature consumers care about i.e. will pay more for. In this case I would say they care not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.