The infamous and elusive UFER

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
ALL, OP Here.

Just a little update. They went ahead and installed a UFER Ground because they have to pour concrete in an additional area of the home.

HOWEVER, the inspector is asking for a TEST on the UFER to prove there is MORE THAN 25 ohms. Does this make sense? There is only 1 area in the NEC that requires a ground test, but that test requires 25 Ohms or LESS and off memory, that only applies to ground rods to avoid a supplemental ground.

Why would someone ask for a test showing MORE THAN 25 Ohms for a UFER?
Because they are human and made a mistake. The only perfect person who ever walked the earth is alleged to be Jesus of Nazareth and you know what the available records report that they did to him for that don't you?

"Fools you have no perception the stakes we are gambling are frighteningly high. We must crush him completely so like John before him this Jesus must die." Jesus Christ Superstar

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
That’s like saying “I’ve always driven 80 MPH on this 55
MPH highway and they gave me a speeding ticket just this one time.”
A Massachusetts State Police officer stopped an elderly lady for speeding. She got sputtering mad and said "This is nonsense. The sign clearly says 93. He gave her the ticket and pointed out a nearby speed limit sign finishing with "I'm sure glad I caught you before you reached route 128.

I have never seen a slab on grade floor without the trenches for the footer at the edges. Is there such a thing as a slab on grade with no footer under the outside walls?
I poured a floating slab for an outbuilding that is 16x50. I said the hell with all that detail and just poured the entire thing s uniform 8" with #5 rebar on a 1 foot grid. It's totally fine not a single crack in it. Ive seen it heave about an inch on one side, no biggie, doesn't bother it a bit. I think the reason for forming in a footer and making it thinner on the inside is just for more efficient use of concrete. I didn't really find it worth the time in my case.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Fools you have no perception the stakes we are gambling are frighteningly high. We must crush him completely so like John before him this Jesus must die." Jesus Christ Superstar
"We need a more permanent solution to our problem."

Mt61

Occupation
Inspector
In central Florida jurisdictions we have differing issues in each. One jurisdiction requires the plastic removed from under a 20' piece of rebar, the next jurisdiction states the 12' depth of the footer portion exposes it to the earth on the exterior side. Does anyone have information supporting this?

Mt61

Occupation
Inspector
In central Florida jurisdictions we have differing issues in each. One jurisdiction requires the plastic removed from under a 20' piece of rebar, the next jurisdiction states the 12' depth of the footer portion exposes it to the earth on the exterior side. Does anyone have information supporting this?
12 inch depth in the earth.

kwired

Electron manager
I poured a floating slab for an outbuilding that is 16x50. I said the hell with all that detail and just poured the entire thing s uniform 8" with #5 rebar on a 1 foot grid. It's totally fine not a single crack in it. Ive seen it heave about an inch on one side, no biggie, doesn't bother it a bit. I think the reason for forming in a footer and making it thinner on the inside is just for more efficient use of concrete. I didn't really find it worth the time in my case.
was there building codes/inspections that applied to this building? Not saying what you did was totally wrong for your application, but many codes can be one size fits all types of codes.

kwired

Electron manager
The one with no plastic on the side will have better conductivity to earth than if the plastic wrapped up along the side, but it will likely have more resistance than if there were no plastic below. More surface contact with the earth should give you lower resistance to earth.

Total plastic barrier effectively makes a capacitor out of it.

was there building codes/inspections that applied to this building? Not saying what you did was totally wrong for your application, but many codes can be one size fits all types of codes.
No this was not necessarily built to codes. I don't see what a built in footer accomplishes, if it has enough strength flat and uniform then seems equivalent. Now some codes may require frost protection which is often accomplished with insulation laid below grade out some distance from the building.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Pardon my ignorance here, but shouldn't that detail be present on the plans that are run through plan check?

I feel like that can be planned/accounted for prior to start of construction.
The plan reviewers are not held responsible for things they miss during plan review. At least in Florida they are not.