The NEC Vs. Engineers III: Revelations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Tech

We do not care about the routing except when it pertains to fire walls or fire rated assemblies and UL Firestopping details, that is observed by the EI on site.

It does not call out for fire-stopping but, we are supposed to knot that a hall egress is a fire exit. I ask for an extra. I get a directive by the city engineer to proceed. Do it and sue me, is what that means. That is why I do not do government jobs. Give someone some power and they think they are kings. Don't call out for a panel for the IPS an we should have caught that on the bid. That's a NEC requirement. Make me drive 120 miles to get a signature on a special form (when I have 4 signutures on other documents) Sooo green. It is a power trip / OWN IT!

radiopet

Paul
I have been reading this thread for a couple of days. I was not going to respond, but you keep repeating a theme that needs addressing in my opinion.
1. Liability for the inspector.
Liability is almost nonexistant if the inspector shows up on the jobsite, that is what errors and omissions insurance covers. Unless the inspector is obviously doing something wrong or taking money, there is little to be blamed for.
Maybe you should have a little more confidence in the inspectors.
You also keep calling them 'your' inspectors. I highly doubt you have trained them yourself, or they would not need such a tongue lashing as they have received from you in this thread. I am sure if they have read this, you would not be too well received at work.

2. You make it sound as though the engineers in Virginia are incapable of actually properly designing a job properly.
How long have you been in your position as a plans reviewer? 2 years.
What happened for all those years before you were there???

What I gather from your posts, is a guy new at his job who sees a few mistakes and then develops an opinion that all work is inferior.

Sorry, I cannot believe that Virginia is so different than the rest of the country.

Well since everyone seems to be the authority on Virginia. Please explain all this to the DHCD what conducts all the inspectors training required by the State of Virginia. Also you seem to have a common theme Mr. Pierre to wanting to know how long I have been doing my work. You are VERY aware how fast my rise has been to the top of the food chain with the City of Richmond based on my education, experience and plenty of credits to my name so I hardly believe you can question my experience as I will stack it up against anything you can bring to the table. I have been a contractor for over 20+ years and did 3rd party inspections prior to coming to the City of Richmond and you know this. You asked the same question when I was an electrical inspector for the city, which was my entry into working with the City of Richmond who has a system in place long before I came here. My job has been to tweek it and be their code expert on training and in the inspection department. You have a tendency ( along with many of you.....) to simply bash people who come to try and help and lets just say I know some mods who simply dont like the NAME I use when doing it...which i could careless about.

But I will move off you because you have motives that always seem to be below the belt on this issue. I have been in the electrical industry training, working and educating for many years and helped get CEU requirements in VA and even got issued the very first approval to conduct courses.....

Your opinion is CRAP.....no way to slice it and uncalled for since I simply was posting my stance on the post originally presented by George and you took the change to get your shots in.....I am sure a MOD will erase this simply because it is the nature to do so...I am far from NEW to this game and you know this........I dont just go around snapping pictures with my camera....get over yourself.

I was simply stated what we do in Richmond VA and what the policy is and what we are told and how we are trained to do it. I stated what the inspectors are told when doing training at the DHCD required state training and the liablility statements from our building commissioners and superiors.....but you openly state it is just some NEW guy finding problems and jumping on it....GROW UP........

Now I see why it is simply not worth having a debate on here because people will simply jump on any bandwagon they wish......read my posts..., understand they are my opinions and based on the standard we have...I cant change it and don't wish too and the engineers understand it and contractors understand it and as I stated before not every change required a plan change...but no one seems to READ those statements and simply take it the way they should.........

yeah....its all about me....sure.........what ever.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You know, I probably should have started this on a different tack. In retrospect, I set the conversation on a course where someone had a position to defend, and that can turn ugly. I think it's safe to say it has.

As the OP, I have the option of asking the thread to be closed, and I am doing so now.

Thanks for the participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.