The S.L.I.P. Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Here are some ethical considerations for inspectors conducting electrical construction inspections. They are also useful for others actively involved in their respective trades. I learned this "slip" acronym while training for "code enforcement official" years ago. :smile:

• Scrutiny - Will my actions withstand public, media, legal and/or organizational scrutiny?
  • Legal - Will my actions violate applicable laws, rules and/or departmental policy?
  • Interest - Are my actions in the interest of my employer and the general public? Will any party, including myself, stand to gain an unfair advantage?
  • Performance - Will my actions interfere with the proper performance of my duties?

wbalsam1

wbalsam1 said:
Here are some ethical considerations for inspectors conducting electrical construction inspections. They are also useful for others actively involved in their respective trades. I learned this "slip" acronym while training for "code enforcement official" years ago. :smile:

• Scrutiny - Will my actions withstand public, media, legal and/or organizational scrutiny?
  • Legal - Will my actions violate applicable laws, rules and/or departmental policy?
  • Interest - Are my actions in the interest of my employer and the general public? Will any party, including myself, stand to gain an unfair advantage?
  • Performance - Will my actions interfere with the proper performance of my duties?

I think my "slip" post has slipped right into lock it and throw it out. :grin:

wbalsam1 said:

This is noble and would be nice if adopted as a credo.

However, in many cases 'slip' and 'incpector' brings up the image of something green with a dead president on it. That's just reality.

What is the conscensus, is graft increasing or decreasing?

mivey

weressl said:
In Congress, I would say increasing.

As for me, I have never been offered a bribe nor have I ever been asked to give one. I guess I have led a sheltered life or just can't take a hint.:)

weressl said:

I think this is an interesting question...to see what the results would be geographically.

NY
I think the 'gifts', 'gratuity', 'lunch', 'thanks' money has not slowed down as much as I would have hoped...there are still many who take, and some who even ask for it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Would it be considered a bribe to offer to spring for lunch with an inspector to be able to get off the job site and talk one on one in an attempt to solve some problems? I would consider it more of a 'lunch and learn' than an attempt at bribery. YMMV.

frizbeedog

wbalsam1 said:

Also known as Ethics. :smile:

ultramegabob

K8MHZ said:
Would it be considered a bribe to offer to spring for lunch with an inspector to be able to get off the job site and talk one on one in an attempt to solve some problems? I would consider it more of a 'lunch and learn' than an attempt at bribery. YMMV.

You may not intend it as a bribe, but I think it would be inappropriate for the inspector to accept you to pay for his lunch.

bphgravity

If the "gift" is green and DOESN'T have a dead president on it, but one of the father's of electricity on it, that's okay right? From my perspective, it electrical memorabilia...

Status
Not open for further replies.