The word or

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Nec 2014 Article 250.64(D) says multiple service disconnecting means grounding electrode connection can be following 250.64(D)(1), 250.64(D)(2) OR 250.64(D)(3).

What does the word OR mean in the code for 250.64. The question is does the Word OR mean one cannot install GECs at more then one location? So one cannot install 250.64(D)(2) option as well as 250.64(D)(3) option in same install. One has to chose either one of (D)(1), D(2), D(3) but they cannot be mix in same install?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In common English, OR is interpreted to mean at least one of the alternatives, not the exclusive OR (XOR) of logic which means exactly one of the alternatives. You are overthinking this question.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Nec 2014 Article 250.64(D) says multiple service disconnecting means grounding electrode connection can be following 250.64(D)(1), 250.64(D)(2) OR 250.64(D)(3).

What does the word OR mean in the code for 250.64. The question is does the Word OR mean one cannot install GECs at more then one location? So one cannot install 250.64(D)(2) option as well as 250.64(D)(3) option in same install. One has to chose either one of (D)(1), D(2), D(3) but they cannot be mix in same install?

Yes I think you choose one of
250.64 (D)(1) Common Grounding Electrode Conductor sized based on T250.66 (and Note 1 the largest sum of the areas of the corresponding conductors of each set). This gets interesting if you just have 2 groundrods, the 'Common Grounding Electrode Conductor' seems like it is sized per 250.66(A) & 250.64(F) only requiring a #6 CU no matter what, and then you would have taps sized for each disco's ungrounded conductors.
OR
250.64 D(2) Individual Grounding Electrode Conductors from each disco to the grounding electrode system,
OR
250.64 D(3) A neutral Buss or tap block in a service wireway connected to the grounded service conductor and GEC (most common way I see it)

I would be curious how you were thinking of mixing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.