There is No place to install ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

whofrankw

I’m doing a service upgrade to 200 amps and the house is surrounded by concrete. I don’t see a place to install ground rods. Any suggestions? They do have metal water pipe but I no that needs to be supplemented

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can also bore through the basement floor and drive rods there. If there's only a crawlspace, drive the rods at 45 deg. away from each other on each side of the access door.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Drill hole in concrete and pound away.

I agree, but someone will come along and say inside of the building is not "below the permanent moisture level" whatever that means. I wrote a proposal to have that removed from the NEC because it's undefined but that one got shot down. :slaphead:

I would argue that it is not practicable any other way and therefore satisfies 250.53(A)(1).

250.53(A)(1) Below Permanent Moisture Level. If practicable, rod, pipe, and plate electrodes shall be embedded below permanent moisture level.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with drilling through the concrete. Before you do that however, try to determine the location of the underground electric feeder, gas line, and water line. It really sucks to hit any of those.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
why would they hassle you about using something that is already there?

I get hassled all the time over stuff that isn't fully visible or what have you. "How do I know the UFER was properly approved at the time?" "How do I know that the GEC that disappears into the wall over here is the same one that comes out over there?" And so forth. I'd say about 10% of houses with UFERs have a compliant accessible location for viewing the termination, to cite just one typical problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.