thermostat wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

splinetto

I had a guy tell me " When you see a green light it means go go go , just like the fan motor and if something is white it must be white hot, so the white is for the furnace because that gets hot....He had all the other colors covered but cant remember,,,

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Those sheet metal thermostats run on airflow?

I'm saying in my entire career as an electrician, I have never installed or wired a stat. Simple as that.

I replaced my old Honeywell dial with a programmable. But that was in my own home, and I wasn't gettin' paid to do it, so it don't count. ;)

electricalperson

in my area we always install the thermostats and wire the heating/ac system

all the plumber does is come in and plumb it and we need to figure out what he did most of the time. its not too hard to do if you understand how the system is supposed to work. we can usually ask the plumber or heat guy questions if we need too

Sparky555

The only time I had to do thermostat wiring was when a tin-bender was union. I told him it was fine with me after he showed me where to terminate the wires in the furnace. The goofy part was I knew he had more stat wire in his truck than I had in mine.

Dave

quogueelectric

I love doing tstat wires 99 bucks apiece. You can get in a lot of trouble with these if you dont understand the systems though. With both ac and heating split 1st floor 2nd floor basement then add heating cooling programable tstats I see more people screw these up than I care to count. I charge 50 to wire the tstats and there are usually at least 2 per house.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
quogueelectric said:
I love doing tstat wires 99 bucks apiece.
Is that $99 per wire, as in per conductor? :-?

I've been wiring 'stats longer than I can remember. I helped my dad install a whole-house humidifier when I was a kid.

2-conductor LV wire is red and white (as in doorbell wire, too), 3 cond. is red/white/green, etc. That's how it evolved.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

LarryFine said:
Is that $99 per wire, as in per conductor? :-?

I've been wiring 'stats longer than I can remember. I helped my dad install a whole-house humidifier when I was a kid.

2-conductor LV wire is red and white (as in doorbell wire, too), 3 cond. is red/white/green, etc. That's how it evolved.
Standard 5 conductor is my favorite. The ac guys usually include thier 2 conductor to the condensing unit god bless them.

quogueelectric

Dennis Alwon said:
Anyone who is interested in learning something good here pay close attention to the basic color code Thanks to Dennis you will call on this basic drawing for the rest of your career and will find that 90% of other electricians dont know this simple diagram. This is one of the best ones I have ever seen and I have bailed out dozens of so called electricians who have smoked control transformers in rooftop units. Marcs was good too btw.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We usually get asked to run 7- or 8-cond. for HVAC systems, to both the indoor and outdoor units.

quogueelectric

LarryFine said:
We usually get asked to run 7- or 8-cond. for HVAC systems, to both the indoor and outdoor units.
There are little to no heat pumps up north that would require the extra conductors I hear they are only efficient to 55 degrees. I can still remember the oil lines freezing at -10 f when I had a newborn in the house and was under the oil tank with an acetylene torch dfrosting it for a half hour then it would freeze up again. Had to send the wife to the mother in laws at 3 am not fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.