thermostat wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage_Rick

LarryFine said:
Is that $99 per wire, as in per conductor? :-?

I've been wiring 'stats longer than I can remember. I helped my dad install a whole-house humidifier when I was a kid.

2-conductor LV wire is red and white (as in doorbell wire, too), 3 cond. is red/white/green, etc. That's how it evolved.
Pulp-insulated phone cable started the same way. Can you imagine staring at 300 pairs of red and white wires? Later on they amended it, so you'd have 100 pairs of red/white, 100 pairs of green/white, and 100 pairs of blue/white.

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
Anyone who is interested in learning something good here pay close attention to the basic color code Thanks to Dennis you will call on this basic drawing for the rest of your career and will find that 90% of other electricians dont know this simple diagram. This is one of the best ones I have ever seen and I have bailed out dozens of so called electricians who have smoked control transformers in rooftop units. Marcs was good too btw.

Unfortunately it seems on the commercial units 'R, W, Y, G' etc has been pretty much abandon.

Either it will be some proprietary set of connections that you better have instructions for or the unit will be connected with just a network cable, Cat 5 or two conductor twisted shielded.

electricalperson

iwire said:
Unfortunately it seems on the commercial units 'R, W, Y, G' etc has been pretty much abandon.

Either it will be some proprietary set of connections that you better have instructions for or the unit will be connected with just a network cable, Cat 5 or two conductor twisted shielded.
most units i do in commercial use the standard color code i rarely do the shielded or cat 5 system. the contractor that we work with mostly uses the same system for commercial and residential. sometimes the compressor is 3 phase

Status
Not open for further replies.