They don't make 'em like they used to

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Reworking some kitchen wiring in an addtion put on about 10 years ago or so I couldn't help but notice the conditon of some of the materials.

Halo recessed cans with loose sockets and burnt up connections in the sockets, not to mention the yellowed trims.

Leviton GFCI receptacles that would not trip, not just one a half dozen including bathrooms.

Progress puck lights that were just garbage.

Not impressed with the condition of these things after such a relatively short period of time.

480sparky

electricmanscott said:
Reworking some kitchen wiring in an addtion put on about 10 years ago or so I couldn't help but notice the conditon of some of the materials.

Halo recessed cans with loose sockets and burnt up connections in the sockets, not to mention the yellowed trims.

Someone installed a higher-wattage bulb than the max. allowed?

electricmanscott said:
Leviton GFCI receptacles that would not trip, not just one a half dozen including bathrooms.

That's why they were re-engineered a few years ago.

electricmanscott said:
Progress puck lights that were just garbage.

Not impressed with the condition of these things after such a relatively short period of time.

I have no doubt that in 10 years, someone will complain about some of the stuff we installed yesterday.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I think planned obsolescense <sp> is engineered into everything manufactured these days, especially residential / consumer grade goods. I've replaced my brass front porch lights twice in 15 years. The back porch jellyjar is in mint original condition. I think the newer ones now have a plastic "jar" and the fixture isn't even metal.

Cavie

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I think planned obsolescense <sp> is engineered into everything manufactured these days, especially residential / consumer grade goods. I've replaced my brass front porch lights twice in 15 years. The back porch jellyjar is in mint original condition. I think the newer ones now have a plastic "jar" and the fixture isn't even metal.

Your lucky to get 1 year out of them in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.