This is what I'm up against

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I know about what I would charge and I also know what someone gave for a bid already. We are not even close. Give your best shot.

Six family building
Service to remain mostly as is
Remove panels from basement
Add 100 amp panel in each apartment from ex service
Demo wiring as much as possible
Rewire all apartments to minimal code
800 sq ft apartments, 2 bed, 1 bath, kitchen, living room
Gas stove
Gas dryer
Gas boiler
Smoke/ co2 detectors
1 catv
1 telephone

Oh yes...by the way...all old work!!!

Make as many holes as you want. Walls are all wood lath and plaster with wood paneling over them.

Last edited:

peter d

I've done a bunch of jobs like this, actually, it seems to be the only kind of work I do. I've never really priced one, but at least $2500-$3000 per unit would be my very rough estimate.

I'm guessing the price that was given was in the $8000 range for the whole job. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

growler

peter d said:
$2500-$3000 per unit would be my very rough estimate.

I have bid dozens of them in that range and haven't gotten them yet.
That's why I don't do apartments. There are to many companies that are already set up to do apartments and do them real cheap.

The only time I have been able to get in there is Fire Damage.

satcom

electricmanscott said:
I know about what I would charge and I also know what someone gave for a bid already. We are not even close. Give your best shot.

Six family building
Service to remain mostly as is
Remove panels from basement
Add 100 amp panel in each apartment from ex service
Demo wiring as much as possible
Rewire all apartments to minimal code
800 sq ft apartments, 2 bed, 1 bath, kitchen, living room
Gas stove
Gas dryer
Gas boiler
Smoke/ co2 detectors
1 catv
1 telephone

Oh yes...by the way...all old work!!!

Make as many holes as you want. Walls are all wood lath and plaster with wood paneling over them.

We have a lot of them here, they get a quote from a buddy, tell them, just give me a low quote i can use to get the price down, they show the price to the bidders, and they always find someone to do it at the low price, It' become a game around here, all these appartment owners stick togther pretty tight, as soon as you said you know the bid it sent up a flag.

charlie tuna

your statement "we were not even close" --- somehow a price was communicated to you --- there was a reason for this to happen --- don't even waste your time -- this type of work is risky to accurately price out. there are many hidden issues for unqualified estimators to overlook. walk away and let them learn....

JohnE

Quick estimate $5500. But of course I'd want to see it. Was the other number from a legitimate contractor, or from someone doing side work? Not that it matters.

edit: to be clear, $5500 per unit, so around $33,000.

Last edited:

electricmanscott

Standing there with the guy after he told me he has a price of $3700.00 per apt and I tried not to laugh I did some rough figuring.

I came up with $8,000.00 and said thanks for the call, have a nice day. :smile:

This is all wiring that has to be fished in. The walls/ceilings are in horrendous condition and cutting in boxes will be extremely difficult which means very time consuming. The service he wants to keep is a real mess. We didn't even address that.

$100.00 per day fine if rough is not completed by specified day.

He bought an abandoned crackhouse cheap and wants to fix it up cheap and have a rent generating crackhouse I guess.

peter d

So you can make as many holes but someone will have to patch them later?

I have done jobs like this but the nice part was is that later the lath and plaster was getting covered with sheetrock, so I could do the job semi-new (nail-ons instead of old work boxes, etc.) And I didn't have to make any holes, just mark where I needed them with spray paint and a laborer came and cut them with a sawzall.

Davis9

electricmanscott said:
Standing there with the guy after he told me he has a price of $3700.00 per apt and I tried not to laugh I did some rough figuring.

I came up with $8,000.00 and said thanks for the call, have a nice day. :smile:

This is all wiring that has to be fished in. The walls/ceilings are in horrendous condition and cutting in boxes will be extremely difficult which means very time consuming. The service he wants to keep is a real mess. We didn't even address that.

$100.00 per day fine if rough is not completed by specified day.

He bought an abandoned crackhouse cheap and wants to fix it up cheap and have a rent generating crackhouse I guess.

Thats cheap. I'd try for 5K a unit. But I don't think I'd get it. I had done a bunch of Apts like this a few years back. Not much fun. But, there is $$$ to be made there if you hustle. Big holes are necessary to move quick. I used to take a lathe out all the way around the room and then cut out a "window" at each box location. They wanted Cheap and fast, they got it. I try not to even bother with these anymore, but with the way things are going in the new construction segment, they are coming up more often. People are buying 3 families around here for <75K lately. They need work.

Tom

Good Luck Scott

growler

electricmanscott said:

Scott you didn't say anything about fishing any wires earlier. If the thing were gutted and using many of the existing holes that were drilled a fast rough-in crew ( 2 men ) will do two of them in a day ( 800 Sq ft ).

With fishing you would at least be in the 5 to 6 K range even hear. The fast guys that normally do apartments, don't do much fishing. They don't make much money either and most are from the Southern part of North America.

e57

Sheet rock is not that expensive once you figure re-wiring a building 'closed' costs so much more. In these cases I bring up that fact, and mention that a few hand grenades are in order - some take the advise - some stick to "Electricians are Magicians" thinking..... But take offense to the 'big enough check' required for such....

Minuteman

What I hate, is when you "make all the holes you want". Sometimes the old plaster/lath has wire mesh between it. So you blow a bunch of labor, blades, and clean up.

Then, you set the depth of the box to match the old walls, and they come in fur it out and overlay it with a 1/2" sheetrock. Now your box is recessed by 3/4" or better. :mad:

electricmanscott

growler said:
Scott you didn't say anything about fishing any wires earlier. .

Ahh but I did.
Electricmanscott said:
Oh yes...and by the way...all old work!!

Is calling this kind of work not the proper term??? Is this local slang??? :confused:

So I quickly priced out $8K on the spot. Knowing how doing that always haunts you I actually told the guy $8k - $10K figuring that when I sat down and actually priced it out I better have some wiggle room.

Either way I wouldn't even consider doing this job unless it was for my price and that is obviously not happening. :grin:

electricmanscott

Davis9 said:
People are buying 3 families around here for <75K lately. They need work.

Working on two in Worcester right now. Doing them right, total gut job, no service needed for one of them, new service for the other.

Even without the service they are coming in at aound 5K per apt and this is totally gutted.

I'll be bringing some heat with me today. It is 0 outside my door right now. :mad:

growler

electricmanscott said:
Ahh but I did.
Is calling this kind of work not the proper term??? Is this local slang??? :confused:

Sorry Scott. Yes old work will mean the same here as there.

When I see "apartment" I just assume they will be gutted. I don't think I have even seen a total rewire of an aparment that wasn't gutted. The old apartments here normally need insulation and there is some other damage in most that needs repair.

Your price of $8000.00 sounds better all the time.

I don't even look at a house for total rewire unless it's gutted because it's hard to charge enough to make up for the extra effort .

JohnE

growler said:
I don't even look at a house for total rewire unless it's gutted because it's hard to charge enough to make up for the extra effort .

The one and only time I did a total rewire without gutting, I told the contractor it would be cheaper if he gutted it and had to hire a board and plasterer. But he was a painting contractor and wanted a place for his guys to spend slow days.:-?

ddubbs103

I'm working with a guy kind of the same, 3 fam turn into condos. Each unit has a 100 panel with all new wiring cable phone etc in every bed, recessed lighting in kitchens, he said he gave them a price for 27k, Granted they started snaking and after a few days into it they had ceilings down etc. I'm curious on how you guys bid these jobs, alot of people I talk to say they do square footage, also heard that could bite you in the rear. I'm not to sure how he bid it he has kinda awkward ways of doing things, but seems kinda low to me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.