This stuff isn't good....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

Has anyone encountered spray in expanding foam insulation???
I am doing some work at a friend's house and they have this in their attic. I am sure it was fast and works well, but finding wires,boxes, and sometimes fixtures is a BEAST!! Trying to dig through 2-4 inches of the stuff the full length of a run from the header above the panel to where the S.L. goes down to a switch can go from 5 mins. to 20 or 30 mins. The ONLY reason to use this is if the electrical is mounted overhead. Time consuming, I know, but quicker when it compared to digging later on.
I was just wondering if anyone out there has come in contact with this stuff and if you had any 'tricks'. Later. sparky723

BTW- TEXAS LONGHORNS are STILL #1.:D

480sparky

The best 'trick' is to know in advance they're going to use the stuff, and plan accordingly. If you need to bury a wire to find it later, staple it to a stud and take careful measurements (and photos!) of where it is.

cadpoint

OP, you might search here, I seem to recall at least two long threads about the foam stuff that got heavy into the "code" and "UL" issues.
Seems it was 6 ~ 9 months back...

ivsenroute

OP, you might search here, I seem to recall at least two long threads about the foam stuff that got heavy into the "code" and "UL" issues.
Seems it was 6 ~ 9 months back...

I would love to see those threads. I will see if I can dig any of them up if the search will go back that far.

SiddMartin

Foam like this: ?

This stuff is not easy to fish walls with. It is just a pain all together, and when they spray over all the wires, I can't believe that doesn't effect heat dissepation (sp?)

They usually dont foam the wall solid, they will leave the last 1" open. If it is an interior wall, they will put up plastic and spray from one side, or they may have drywall up on oneside and foam from the other, I would not leave wire coiled up, it is a mess!

Only benefit, it leaves the attic nice for us, no insulation on the joists, all of it is up in the rafters

Last edited:

tonyou812

I have a couple of friends that are chemists. And they both told me that its bad stuff to have in your house. Over time they start to chemically break down and realese small amouts of formaldahyde in the air. I can get more specific if anyone is interested.

mdshunk

tonyou812 said:
I have a couple of friends that are chemists. And they both told me that its bad stuff to have in your house. Over time they start to chemically break down and realese small amouts of formaldahyde in the air. I can get more specific if anyone is interested.
I've heard the same thing, but people are going to continue to use it.

The solution to this PITA is spare pipes from the panel and good documentation of the as-builts. .

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
From the Icynene.com website on the health benefits.

Healthier - Superior Indoor Air, Low Environmental Impact?

click on the icons The time spent indoors should help to maintain occupant health and well-being. That's why it is important to select building products like Icynene? soft foam insulation and air barrier system, which was manufactured with health and well-being in mind.

Icynene? contributes to a healthy indoor environment in three critical ways:

1). Icynene? is 100% water-blown and does not emit harmful gases once cured.

Icynene? contains no ozone-depleting substances and does not off-gas over time, unlike some conventional insulation that can deteriorate as time passes. Icynene maintains its efficiency with no loss of R-value to provide healthy indoor air (and energy savings) for its occupants today and for years to come. Selecting products that provide longevity, like Icynene?, reduces the impact on the environment because it eliminates the need for the installation of additional material in the future.

2). Icynene creates a continuous air barrier in the walls, ceilings and floors, which minimizes the intrusion of outdoor allergens and pollutants.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
icynene is not the same as what is pictured above. icynene is more white in color. i've only worked in a couple of houses that had true icynene; everyone else is using what you see in that picture above. it also cures to a more uniform state.

Aledrell

chainsaw

chainsaw

had to wire a house where they had pre foamed walls full of that stuff, chainsaw cuts nice wire groves.

Status
Not open for further replies.