thought you'd all appreciate this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
an EC i do lighting certifications for shot me these photos of
a solar install he'd been asked to quote the hookup on....

it's not immediately apparent, at least to me, but this is a fifteen
unit apartment building in so. calif.

edison base and cartridge fuses, one meter for the entire place,
no submetering. truly a thing to behold.

so, how do we put solar on this...... :lol:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

pv_n00b

I assume you want a serious answer so here's my swing at it. This is not as bad as it seems.

Since there is only one meter and no sub metering that means the tenants have their electricity paid for as part of the rent. This is actually great since the owner can offset more of the building load and receive the benefit. If the tenants paid for their own electricity then the owner could only offset the house loads.

Assuming they do not want to upgrade the whole service entrance I would do this as a supply side interconnection and the interconnection point I would use would be in the junction box the service conductors pass through to get from the CT box to the AC disconnect. There is less likelihood the AHJ would use this as an excuse to bring the whole thing up to current code if you stay away from the load side.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Are you kidding me? This is supposed to be a difficult situation? I would kill to have all my supply side taps come with a tap box already installed by someone else. Er, that is, to have it left in place in the form of a hollowed out old disco. Or whatever.
:lol:

I'd also kill to find 15 unit apartment buildings with a single meter. Talk about simplifying sales and system design. :happyyes:

Also, I wish my building service would be upgraded from something better than this, but I'm sure it won't be before I move out. Yes, the lights still work. :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.