Thoughts on GFCI breakers instead of GFCI receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
So, the person wet out of the shower somehow trips the gfi receptacle, so the idea to have a reset button right there at the location (outlet) of 120vac 20A for a wet person to use/press is, a good idea ?? I never really understood that.

Hair appliances commonly trip them

As for receptacle behind a fridge, if you dont put one there where does the fridge plug in to?

We’re talking about DF breaker vs gfci recep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.

but a wet hand is the thing to press the reset button ;)

We’re talking about DF breaker vs gfci recep.

10-4, got it.

inline reply

kwired

Electron manager
So, the person wet out of the shower somehow trips the gfi receptacle, so the idea to have a reset button right there at the location (outlet) of 120vac 20A for a wet person to use/press is, a good idea ?? I never really understood that.

As for receptacle behind a fridge, if you dont put one there where does the fridge plug in to?

but a wet hand is the thing to press the reset button ;)

Reset button is typically non conductive material - probably not really a problem

Putting the GFCI itself behind the fridge is what is not allowed. In a dwelling fridge receptacle(in the kitchen) only needs GFCI if it is within 6 feet of the sink, or would happen to also be above the adjacent counter top but the GFCI protection in that case is required because it is serving the counter top, not because the fridge is plugged into it.

kwired

Electron manager

Maybe different for you, but I seldom see them tripping GFCI's. If you dropped one into a sink or tub filled with water, then you might see them trip more often, but I don't think that typically happens that much. Some hair appliances have a GFCI device in the cord anymore, some of those need reset every time you plug them in, but they are designed to trip when power is lost.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Maybe different for you, but I seldom see them tripping GFCI's.....

I should’ve said “most likely to trip”.

You’re right, they don’t trip that often, but usually when mine does on occasion it’s the hair dryer causing it. I can’t think off the top of my head the last time it tripped.

Anyway, if it trips, the customer is likely in the bathroom getting ready, and it’s a pain to go all the way to the panel to reset a gfci breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
I should’ve said “most likely to trip”.

You’re right, they don’t trip that often, but usually when mine does on occasion it’s the hair dryer causing it. I can’t think off the top of my head the last time it tripped.

Anyway, if it trips, the customer is likely in the bathroom getting ready, and it’s a pain to go all the way to the panel to reset a gfci breaker.

Whenever they decide to require AFCI in the bathroom, many will likely use dual function breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.