Threaded RMC into 2 gang w/p box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Pipe dope, Teflon tape, silicone, Myers hubs in a threaded WP box, etc...

All ridiculous.

You'll do more damage trying to seal it up.

I'll probably be coming along behind you drilling a hole in the bottom of it to let the water out.

JAP>

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Citation?

When bonding threaded pressure pipe with joints made with dope, it is assumed that the joint will provide electrical continuity, so there is no need to jumper each fitting. Of course, the standard for bonding conduit may be higher than bonding other systems.

Cheers, Wayne
300.6 Protection Against Corrosion and Deterioration. Raceways,
cable trays, cablebus, auxiliary gutters, cable armor,
boxes, cable sheathing, cabinets, elbows, couplings, fittings,
supports, and support hardware shall be of materials suitable
for the environment in which they are to be installed.
(A) Ferrous Metal Equipment. Ferrous metal raceways, cable
trays, cablebus, auxiliary gutters, cable armor, boxes, cable
sheathing, cabinets, metal elbows, couplings, nipples, fittings,
supports, and support hardware shall be suitably protected
against corrosion inside and outside (except threads at joints)
by a coating of approved corrosion-resistant material. Where
corrosion protection is necessary and the conduit is threaded
in the field, the threads shall be coated with an approved electrically
conductive, corrosion-resistant compound.
My personal opinion is that if one was to use teflon tape or pipe dope on a NPT threaded fitting there would be plenty of metal to metal engagement once it was made tight.

However, the code is pretty clear that if you feel you need to protect a field made thread against corrosion, it has to be electrically conductive.

OTOH, if it is not a field cut thread, I don't see where the code would prevent the use of something non-conductive. Which is just silly, but that appears to be what the code requires.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Pipe dope, Teflon tape, silicone, Myers hubs in a threaded WP box, etc...

All ridiculous.

You'll do more damage trying to seal it up.

I'll probably be coming along behind you drilling a hole in the bottom of it to let the water out.

JAP>

The ko is on the side of the box not the top. We would sometimes drill an 1/8" hole in the bottom in case water did build up but is that compliant? IDK but we did it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The ko is on the side of the box not the top. We would sometimes drill an 1/8" hole in the bottom in case water did build up but is that compliant? IDK but we did it.

I've never seen a WP box with a KO in it for conduit entry. :)

JAP>

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've never seen a Bell or other outdoor box with hubs on the sides. For example, a 5-hole would have 1 in the back, 2 on top, and 2 in the bottom. I guess it matters what you are calling "sides". If the box was installed horizontally then what would be top/bottom should it be installed vertical, then you could call it the ends. But I've never seen holes in the long sides of outdoor boxes.

Edit: Just realized the OP was talking about 2-gang! I've been speaking of SG boxes, maybe holes in a 2-gang could be called the side.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'd have to say I think a Meyers hub is primarily designed to be used in a KO and secondly in a threaded opening where a water tight connection cannot be made by either the raceway,or fitting being used.

Jap>

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
With RMC we dont use anything either.
Doesn't say to use silicone either. What is "sealing compound" and would it be required to be conductive?
Perhaps this:

Status
Not open for further replies.