threaded rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

how do you select the size threaded rod needed to support different weights? what size rod will be needed to support the 620lb transformer? ive been trying to find information on google and i cant seem to find the information needed. the thread on hanging a transformer got me thinking

bjp_ne_elec

Check this thread out - there was a link to Hilti fasteners and it had quite a bit of info. Looks like they list it for 3000 PSI lightweight deck concrete - this would definitely be nice info to has - as far as the PSI of the concrete. I've used some of the EW6H and W10 series studed fasteners through metal pan decks before. WI also remember hanging a pretty hefty transformer above all the electrical closets, and I think it was overkill - but we used four 1/2" threaded with Unistrut slung on it. The transformers probably went about 400 lbs.

jnsane84

We've hung transformers from the ceiling before. It's not the preferred method but when youre adding additions to pre-existing equipment lines you have no choice. I believe the ones we hung were only 60 Kva and we used threaded rod with a chain safety at each corner.

ITO

Ceiling hung is SOP for a lot of jobs, and the #4 cable is rated at 495# each for a total of 1,980#.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I wish our supply house carried these so maybe I could try them out on a future job...

How does the price compare against threaded rod? They definitely look cheaper from a labor standpoint.

kjw444

We use this method all the time for lighting runs but never thought of using it for hanging transformers. I have used gripple before and that little key is a pain to use, for some reason it just doesn't want to unlock. There is another type of fastner out there with the buttons on the side to release the cable works much better but I can't remember the name. I almost want to say caddy makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.