Three light switches for single room

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc7288

I have a room with three doors. I'd like a light switch next to each door to turn on/off the lights when entering/exiting the room. Would I need one 4-way switch, and two 3-way switches? Would it be possible to use three 3-way switches? Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Taking it a step further, you have to have a 3-way at the beginning and at the end of the run. But you can have as many 4-way switches in between as you wish. Finally, keeping in mind that I have no clue about the prices of such things, you can use nothing but 4-way switches, as long as you wire the first and the last as though they were 3-ways.

JFletcher

I have a room with three doors. I'd like a light switch next to each door to turn on/off the lights when entering/exiting the room. Would I need one 4-way switch, and two 3-way switches? Would it be possible to use three 3-way switches? Thanks.

Yes. 3 way, 4 way, 3 way. There's no need to complicate matters by trying to use all 3 or 4 way switches. Is it possible to use 3 3 ways? I dont think so, not without getting into some odd/unconventional/not-code wiring.

Switches are dirt cheap anyway and any place that sells electrical will have both 3 and 4 way switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.