Three phase and medium voltage training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I am an electrical engineer and a fugitive from the semiconductor industry who has moved into commercial scale renewable energy (solar). As such, I am confronting some knotty (for me) problems in dealing with interconnections with utilities with respect to three phase power, transformers, medium voltage, conduit runs, line side taps, etc. I am ferreting things out on my own by going to forums like this one and talking to more experienced guys in the field, but it's slow and leaves gaps in what I know. I have perused the available courses in the IEEE catalog as well as the on line CE providers (Red Vector and the like) and I have not found any training that would give me a more comprehensive insight into the issues confronting me. Have you any suggestions where else I might look?

jdsmith

A few books come to mind that would provide a good overview of MV power systems:

Industrial Power Systems Handbook by Beeman
or
Westinghouse T&D Reference Book

The IEEE color book series (in the process of being rewritten in to the IEEE 3000 series of standards) would be the next place to go, particularly the Red Book (IEEE 141) and the Gray Book (IEEE 241).

If you would prefer actual training courses instead of books to peruse, check out www.brainfiller.com. I haven't taken any of his courses, but Jim has the right background and focus for what you are wanting to learn about. I have read and would recommend his book on arc flash studies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A few books come to mind that would provide a good overview of MV power systems:

Industrial Power Systems Handbook by Beeman
or
Westinghouse T&D Reference Book

The IEEE color book series (in the process of being rewritten in to the IEEE 3000 series of standards) would be the next place to go, particularly the Red Book (IEEE 141) and the Gray Book (IEEE 241).

If you would prefer actual training courses instead of books to peruse, check out www.brainfiller.com. I haven't taken any of his courses, but Jim has the right background and focus for what you are wanting to learn about. I have read and would recommend his book on arc flash studies.
Thanks; I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.