Three wire dryer receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical apprentice
So seems to be a lot of different opinion on this topic maybe someone could clear up the confusion for me, i interpret a three wire dryer outlet as having two hot terminals for 240 volts and one “L” shaped terminal being the NEUTRAL which also serves as the ground path for the bond from neutral to the chassis of the dryer?

Many folks seem to think that the third terminal is for GROUND although those receptacles are the non-grounding type. I look at a nema 10-30 dryer outlet and nema 10-50 stove outlet as having a neutral terminal and a nema 6-30 and 6-50 for welders as having a ground

As long as old wiring with se cable with the concentric neutral is used for a dryer receptacle it is acceptable under the nec as an exception but to my knowledge you cannot have 10/2 with ground serving as the neutral under any circumstance. Besides se cable a new 10/3 w ground circuit would have to be rsn even in a old home even if just changing a a bad receptacle in my eyes would not be good having a bare ground having current on it. Maybe someone has a better understanding than I do? Thanks in advance!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We just had almost the same discussion, so you should find your answers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.