Thurs Pic: Why Backstabbers Should be Shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

I guess I'm just blessed.

I've backstabbed everything I can for 30+ years, used wago's for at least 10 years, and haven't had a failure that I'm aware of yet (when the wago or backstab device was properly installed)

I've had a few wirenuts fail (probably not installed properly), seen backstabs by others fail, seen purple nurples catch fire, seen tons of crimp connections fail, but never a problem with properly installed wagos or back stabs.

I agree, most things fail due to the improper installation, bottom line.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

I've backstabbed everything I can for 30+ years, used wago's for at least 10 years, and haven't had a failure that I'm aware of yet (when the wago or backstab device was properly installed)

I've had a few wirenuts fail (probably not installed properly), seen backstabs by others fail, seen purple nurples catch fire, seen tons of crimp connections fail, but never a problem with properly installed wagos or back stabs.

I have seen many backstabbed receptacles fail. How do I know if they were installed correctly or not?

I have also seen screw terminals fail, just not as many.

I have never seen a failed wago type connector. I keep a few of the Ideal brand handy. They are great for dealing with short wires in small boxes. So far, not a single problem, but they can be a bugger to install correctly. It's a good thing you can see through the ends as sometimes it's nearly impossible to get a wire in there. Old 12 AWG NMS has fat insulation and really has to be pushed in hard to seat.

For connecting just two regular solid wires, I think I can actually put a wire nut on faster, as the wago types can fight you. But, I guess, if they just slid in with no friction, they probably wouldn't work very well for very long.

Another downside of wago types is the impossibility or extreme difficulty in removing the conductors without having to cut the connector off. Sometimes it's nice to be able to separate conductors for test reasons. It would be nice if they came up with some sort of removal tool or procedure that would not damage the conductor and would be fairly easy to do.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Great discussion on push in connectors with a biopsy and pictures

http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/opinions-ideal-push-wire-connectors-42921/index3/

At least now I know how to try to get the wire out of one!

Have not disected a receptacle with push in ports in a while, but am willing to guess they do not have the steel spring or at least not as much tension as the WAGO and other similar devices, is likely the reason people notice many receptacle failures but seldom see WAGO failures.

I have pulled many conductors out of switches and receptacles, it is usually not that hard to do, just twist the device and pull the conductor, occasionally just pull the conductor. WAGO's takes more effort to remove a conductor.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

Watch out. Rick apparently thinks you should be shot :D

jumper

Me too. At least with a paint ball or something. :D

I got a nerf gun, I am willing to shoot you both and anybody else who may be interested. Best I can do.:D

imagesqtbnANd9GcRK7BRqAB8NUPe40mU2jzwI87B_TI_U3IRAIulh7KYjcNkFdTIG.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
A question to those who don't use wagos--do you use the wago-type connectors installed in can lites? If so why are they different?

I do grab them and give the conductors a tug just to make sure they are seated properly. I also do this after making a connection with a wire nut.

I don't use wagos, unless they are already part of equipment, but am not decided if I am against the use of them. I have never bought any either, how are they priced as compared to wire nuts? I can see that they would install faster in many cases.

Looks like there may be more parts to have to stock which would also need some consideration. Right now I can cover most wire nut needs with about 4 sizes, The wagos you would either need to stock more or use ones that have more ports than you need in some cases. I can see them being handy for more than four conductors. I just don't like using a wire nut for more than four. I also use a lot of stranded conductor and understand they don't work or at least not very well for stranded.

Last edited:
I do grab them and give the conductors a tug just to make sure they are seated properly. I also do this after making a connection with a wire nut.

I don't use wagos, unless they are already part of equipment, but am not decided if I am against the use of them. I have never bought any either, how are they priced as compared to wire nuts? I can see that they would install faster in many cases.

Looks like there may be more parts to have to stock which would also need some consideration. Right now I can cover most wire nut needs with about 4 sizes, The wagos you would either need to stock more or use ones that have more ports than you need in some cases. I can see them being handy for more than four conductors. I just don't like using a wire nut for more than four. I also use a lot of stranded conductor and understand they don't work or at least not very well for stranded.

We stock what I call 4 banger and 8 banger wagos, yellow/tan & red/tan wirenuts, and big blue's for the occasional #8 splice.

I've never really compared prices, I just know they install faster and save wrists from repetitive stress syndrome. And once you get the hang of it, they remove quickly. Another thing I like them for is when you add outlets, you can add wires readily.

And as they say: If you want to be a Luddite, more power to you.:D

Last edited:

Rick Christopherson

I don't don't backstab but I do you WAGOs. Maybe you could just aim for a leg.
Ummm, you wouldn't want me to aim for a leg...I'm not a very good shot. :jawdrop::sick:

Actually I am kind of intrigued by this discussion. Some are saying that Wago-type clamps don't have the failure mode of backstab devices. If that is true, then they do resolve the common problem of wire nuts with more than just a couple wires.

I didn't mention it, but one of the junction boxes we pulled apart had at least 4 wires in a wire nut, and upon pulling the nut, found one of the wires was short and barely clamped by the nut (and the original EC pre-twisted this bundle). A wago-style clamp, if they do hold firmly, would reduce this problem quite a bit.

I've had several of these Wago-brand clamps in my shop for several years, that I picked up as samples at the Power-Gen conference in Las Vegas several years ago, but I never bothered to play with them at all. I'll have to take a closer look at them before passing judgment on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.