Time clock controlled outlets in pot growing operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

You guys have lost me entirely.

I have not said the contactor must be the disconnecting means.
Contactor and or switch is what I thought you meant by this:

Yes, 'switching device' includes both the disconnecting means and the controler.

If they had only meant the 'disconnect' it would say disconnecting means.

Here is an example from Article 424 that demonstrates that concept.

424.20 Thermostatically Controlled Switching Devices.

(A) Serving as Both Controllers and Disconnecting...

mivey

So start over: Suppose we have a qualifying breaker serving as the disconnect means for all ungrounded conductors. The timer is now just a controller (forget the contactor for a moment). What then? What code section requires the timer to disconnect all ungrounded conductors?

iwire

Staff member
So start over: Suppose we have a qualifying breaker serving as the disconnect means for all ungrounded conductors. The timer is now just a controller (forget the contactor for a moment). What then? What code section requires the timer to disconnect all ungrounded conductors?

Starting over is good and your example is clear.

2011 NEC 410.104(B) requires the timer (a switching device) to open all ungrounded conductors.

mivey

Starting over is good and your example is clear.

2011 NEC 410.104(B) requires the timer (a switching device) to open all ungrounded conductors.
OK. Now on to a timer (or photocell) supplied by one ungrounded and one grounded conductor, what then?

Also, my book says all conductors, not all ungrounded conductors.

renosteinke

From a technical aspect, I don't see how a wacky tabaccy operation would be any different than a flower farm.

Within the growing room, there are issues to address as to wet and corrosive locations.

As for the lighting controls, it's pretty simple ... use a simple digital time clock to operate a bank of relays.

The time clock need not be - and probably should not be - your disconnecting means. The disconnect should be specific to each circuit, and on the "power" side of the relays. Kill the power to the fixtures, not just the power to the relay coil.

teqniqal

Why not use a commercial energy management panelboard?

Why not use a commercial energy management panelboard?

A remote controlled circuit breaker panelboard like the Lyntec RPC (www.lyntec.com) can be controlled locally, or remotely via the internet and smart phone apps. You can program the on-off cycles with an astronomical clock interfaced to the RS232 port, too. The system will accommodate 1, 2, or 3-pole breakers. You couldn't ask for a cleaner install than that - breaker panel, clock, switch all-in-one. The load sequencing feature allows you to turn-on/off the lights in a manner that won't surge the power service, either. The isolated ground buss bar will ensure that the Pink Floyd sound track won't have any ground noise in the stereo system.

Status
Not open for further replies.