Time clock for exhaust fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

I'd like to use a simple line voltage programmable time clock light switch to control a 1/2HP 120V exhaust fan. Any reason this won't work? I'd also like to install it above a grid ceiling so it's right next to the fan. See any restrictions on this?

bward

What's the rating on the timer? Can it handle the HP load?
Might want to look into a cheap programmable motor starter instead.

greenspark1

Don't think I've seen programmable motor starters before, have one you like?
This is only 1/2HP 120V motor so most switches should be able to handle the load. But can the switch be installed above a drop ceiling (accessible by ladder)?

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Try a tork

Try a tork

Try a tork digital time switch. They are good for1 hp at 120v or 1 1/2 at 208 and will keep time for 4 days without power, and they selfcorrect for daylight saving time and sunrise sunset. ewz type timer.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I have a bedside clock radio that self-corrects for daylight savings time. Unfortunately, it corrects by the old schedule, so it is 2 weeks or so wrong. So, Instead of not having to adjust the time, or having to adjust it twice a year, I have to adjust it 4 times a year.:D

AdrianWint

I have a bedside clock radio that self-corrects for daylight savings time. Unfortunately, it corrects by the old schedule, so it is 2 weeks or so wrong. So, Instead of not having to adjust the time, or having to adjust it twice a year, I have to adjust it 4 times a year.:D

Repair by replacement? :D

kwired

Electron manager
Keep in mind if this clock is directly switching the motor circuit - it is a motor controller, and depending on it's design will need a disconnecting means within sight. I say depending on it's design because if it would have some sort of switch incorporated that isn't able to be overridden by the timer it may itself qualify as a disconnecting means.

Also if this timer is "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" it may need to comply with 110.26 working space requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.