Time current curves- why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
General question- why do we have different time current curves? Ie Inverse, Moderately Inverse, Extremely Inverse, ect? I've always imagined that multiples of rated current and time dial settings are enough to acheive selective coordination.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
It's a start MBrooke

So the entire mod to extreeme inverse relationship comes down to the disc having more/less of a cam for the drag magnet .....?

I'm sure the electronic varaiation at the end of the vid takes far more explaination

thx for keeping it simple for me

:)

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It's a start MBrooke

So the entire mod to extreeme inverse relationship comes down to the disc having more/less of a cam for the drag magnet .....?

Almost- more or less of a cam for the electromagnet which causes the disk to spin. My guess is the more cam material the more the "bite" and the faster it spins to trip.

I'm sure the electronic varaiation at the end of the vid takes far more explaination

~RJ~

Electronic ones are another thread- but in short they do it with equations- much like a calculator a person uses.

Here is a simpler explanation, a graph putting it into perspective:

Attachments

• time current curves.jpg
    time current curves.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
the selectice coordination concern is ,even to a romex jockey such as I, somewhat an issue as well.

for ex, there are many times when the main pops before the sub circuits.

yeah i know, one can overlay the mag trips ,and find them similar

it just doesn't make sennse...

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It's a start MBrooke

~RJ~

Actually, you might be right- the drag magnet might indeed be the one at play:

Perhaps another member could shed some light on how its done.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
the selectice coordination concern is ,even to a romex jockey such as I, somewhat an issue as well.

for ex, there are many times when the main pops before the sub circuits.

yeah i know, one can overlay the mag trips ,and find them similar

it just doesn't make sennse...

~RJ~

At high currents you loose selective coordination- which is why POCO engineers need to know the maximum short circuit current at any given point and adjust relaying accordingly. That and you want to know if a CT will saturate. Fault current plus system X/R ratio helps in determining that.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
hmmm, well i'll wager those POCO engineer's south of us are checkin' their math twice tonight MBrooke

~RJ~

Well, you double and triple check before putting any relay into service. Everything is verified before hand and in most companies engineers make notes as to why they choose the settings that they did. Gets even more complicated with NERC dictating and mandating things.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
General question- why do we have different time current curves? Ie Inverse, Moderately Inverse, Extremely Inverse, ect? I've always imagined that multiples of rated current and time dial settings are enough to acheive selective coordination.

The more inverse the characteristic the greater the reduction in operating time at higher current values. In essence it is just a means to modify the trip curve to aid in having more choices for selective coordination between devices and/or provide a closer match to the load being protected.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The more inverse the characteristic the greater the reduction in operating time at higher current values. In essence it is just a means to modify the trip curve to aid in having more choices for selective coordination between devices and/or provide a closer match to the load being protected.

But why not have everything extremely inverse? I guess I can't picture a load requiring an inverse time current curve. Not saying you are wrong, just genuinely lack the experience here.

Status
Not open for further replies.