Time delay neutral on Generac ATS question

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Birken Vogt

I don't think I've lost my neutral. I've used the generator a few times since the failure. Just transfered manually.
Presently I have the neutrals separate on the transfer switch when I'm on utility the generator neutral is open. When I'm on generator the utility neutral is open. Is that how it should be wired or should both neutrals be tied together and not switched?
Normally they are all solidly bolted in the transfer switch, on a home generator. Can you give us a picture or a one line?

Birken Vogt

I mean, I can't say that's the cause of your problem, but it could have been.

All normal residential generators only have a 2 pole switch. The neutrals all connect to one bus bar in the switch at all times. Neutral floats and grounds connect to a bus bar mounted to the can.

What might have happened is that the two hots made before the neutral did, causing a temporary lost neutral for a cycle or two, enough to spike your fridge. This would be random like any loose neutral situation where the degree of excess voltage on one leg depends on what other loads happen to be switched on at that moment.

There are specific transfer switch mechanisms made to make the neutral before making the hots, and break the hots before breaking the neutral.

But this is all speculation on my part.

Timothy918

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I mean, I can't say that's the cause of your problem, but it could have been.

All normal residential generators only have a 2 pole switch. The neutrals all connect to one bus bar in the switch at all times. Neutral floats and grounds connect to a bus bar mounted to the can.

What might have happened is that the two hots made before the neutral did, causing a temporary lost neutral for a cycle or two, enough to spike your fridge. This would be random like any loose neutral situation where the degree of excess voltage on one leg depends on what other loads happen to be switched on at that moment.

There are specific transfer switch mechanisms made to make the neutral before making the hots, and break the hots before breaking the neutral.

But this is all speculation on my part.
This sounds very logical. My next day off I will tie the utility and generator neutrals together so they're not switched.