Timer or switch for backwashing pool

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
On my power post for the pool I plan on having 20a twist lock, switch for twist lock (on load side of timer), general purpose rec., and timer

This isn't for a disconnect, that's what the twist lock is for technically. This is for backwashing. I can't decide if i want to use the mech. timer to turn pump on and off, or put in a switch. I think adding a switch is slightly easier. What do you guy thinks?

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
IDK if I could remember to flip the switch twice a day.
The timer would control the switch. The switch would remain on all the time, unless backwashing. This way you wouldn’t have to open the timer cover. You could just use th the WP switch.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 4

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
New pool owner. Not sure... Maybe once a week?
Frequency of backwashing depends on the size of the pool and conditions of the area. If the pool is small, I think once a week is good. The larger the pool, the longer you can go between backwashing. One indicator is the pressure gauge on the filter. If the pressure gets 8-10 psi above the normal reading, it's time to back wash.

I would just put in a switch for the BW and let the timer control the pump.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
This makes no sense to me, but maybe pool technology has changed. When I backwashed, I had to turn a valve to the backwash position. This runs water backwards through the filter and dumps it out a waste pipe and not back into the pool. You don't need to do it very long, and you drain too much water from the pool if you do.

Does this switch work a valve? Does the timer keep the runtime short, to like 30 seconds or so?

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
This makes no sense to me, but maybe pool technology has changed. When I backwashed, I had to turn a valve to the backwash position. This runs water backwards through the filter and dumps it out a waste pipe and not back into the pool. You don't need to do it very long, and you drain too much water from the pool if you do.

Does this switch work a valve? Does the timer keep the runtime short, to like 30 seconds or so?
Were you turning the pump off before moving the backwash valve?

It’s an Intermatic mechanical timer so it has an on/off bypass switch. I wanted to add a switch for ease of operation.

Instead of opening the timer and using that switch you would just use the WP one. Either way will work. Just wanted some feedback

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Were you turning the pump off before moving the backwash valve?

It’s an Intermatic mechanical timer so it has an on/off bypass switch. I wanted to add a switch for ease of operation.

Instead of opening the timer and using that switch you would just use the WP one. Either way will work. Just wanted some feedback
Yes. You need to turn the pump off when changing positions or else you can blow up the valve. Having a parallel switch that is close to the valve makes sense if that is what you are saying. My timer was right next to the pump, valve, and filter, so it was all grouped together.

My intermatic manual switch could be a pain if the OFF dog was too close when trying to turn it on manually as it wouldn't let you turn it on. I'd have to loosen the OFF dog and move it away, run the pump for 30 seconds, turn it off, and move the dog back. So a parallel switch method is nice in that situation.

A parallel on switch is also nice when you have an algae bloom and need to run the pump 24/7 until its gone. I'd have to remove the timer OFF dogs in that case since that was my only on control for the pump. But if the timer is on, an parallel on/off switch won't turn it off, and the timer has the same problem with the ON dogs, as if the dog just kicked on the timer, the manual ON/OFF lever won't move the off position.

But no ultimate solution here. If using both a timer and a switch, the switch makes sense to me to be a parallel method to turn the pump on, no in series with the timer. Or, using a switch in place of the timer eliminates the OFF dog quirks of the intermatic timer, but you need to remember to tun your pump off every day.

Last edited:

WireNut311

Occupation
Electrician
Yes. You need to turn the pump off when changing positions or else you can blow up the valve. Having a parallel switch that is close to the valve makes sense if that is what you are saying. My timer was right next to the pump, valve, and filter, so it was all grouped together.

My intermatic manual switch could be a pain if the OFF dog was too close when trying to turn it on manually as it wouldn't let you turn it on. I'd have to loosen the OFF dog and move it away, run the pump for 30 seconds, turn it off, and move the dog back. So a parallel switch method is nice in that situation.

A parallel on switch is also nice when you have an algae bloom and need to run the pump 24/7 until its gone. I'd have to remove the timer OFF dogs in that case since that was my only on control for the pump. But if the timer is on, an parallel on/off switch won't turn it off, and the timer has the same problem with the ON dogs, as if the dog just kicked on the timer, the manual ON/OFF lever won't move the off position.

But no ultimate solution here. If using both a timer and a switch, the switch makes sense to me to be a parallel method to turn the pump on, no in series with the timer. Or, using a switch in place of the timer eliminates the OFF dog quirks of the intermatic timer, but you need to remember to tun your pump off every day.
My plan is to put the switch on the load side of the timer. I didn’t want it before the timer because turning it off would affect the time.

I would still have to remove the OFF tripper to run it 24/7 which is no big deal

Wiring the switch in parallel wouldn’t let me backwash if the timer was ON. I think you’re referring to option 2

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpeg
    IMG_0021.jpeg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 6

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager

You need to get yourself one of these. Best money I ever spent. No need to reset for DST or anything. Mine has the 7 day reserve for power (keeps the programming). It has an override button, but you still have to open the cover. But all my stuff is grouped so no big deal.