tinned vs bare copper ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

anyone know of the pros and cons of using tinned copper vs bare in underground installations.

is there a white papare out there that touches on the increase in resistance of tinned vs the corrision of bare copper?

Thanks.
C

beanland

Tinning

Tinning

I cannot provide a white paper but I remember something about corrosion issues for tin-copper. Since the tin is so thin, it has little impact on resistance. Because tin is soft, it can improve contact resistance in clamped connections. IMHO, unless there is a specific atmospheric corrosion issue that would benefit from tin plating, why pay the money?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The one time I had to use tinned bare wire was for the grounding at a cellular site. It was #2 solid, and every connection had to be exothermically welded.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
LarryFine said:
The one time I had to use tinned bare wire was for the grounding at a cellular site. It was #2 solid, and every connection had to be exothermically welded.

We build a lot of the shelters that you see under cellular towers and #2 tinned solid is used for just about everthing on the outside of the shelter including the tower and cable bridge grounding. Grouding is taken very seriously when cellphones and fire and rescue radios are involved.
Motorola has one of the toughest specs on grounding you will ever see.

Status
Not open for further replies.