To ground or not to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Java

New User
Occupation
Technical Marketing
Hello, I am having concrete slab poured next to my deck for a hot tub. The Hot tub itself has 2 power, 1 neutral and 1 ground wire running from the main service panel to the hot tub. The hot tub is connected via a GFCI 50A breaker. Given that the hot tub can weigh up to about 4000 lbs when full, I am having slab reinforced with 1/2" rebar on a 12" grid. Since the hot tub sitting on the slab and is already grounded, does the slab itself need to be grounded as well because it has rebar in it? The electrical for the hot tub is not coming up through the slab but has it's own conduit running to the hot tub. Everything I found online so far are reinforced slabs for buildings that have electrical services running to it. I understand why those need grounding but this is just a slab all by itself that may have a gazebo at some point but no electrical running to it with the exception of the hot tub wiring. Trying to understand what I need to do here.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum’s rules.

This site is designed for:

Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors
This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.

Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a person to perform or assist others to do electrical work who are not qualified. The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. Mike Holt Enterprises and the Moderators of this Forum do not wish to place you and your family in danger, by allowing others to give you too little information to ensure that the installation is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.