To reuse or not to reuse wire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Have a 20,000 Sq. Ft. Remodel and a weeks worth of demo or so. There is a ton of the older AC cable(or some call it BX) above the grid in some pretty salvageable lengths that could be reused to loop outlets or layin fixtures. I thought for a second it was no longer allowed but after looking at article 320, its still an approved wiring method. Would you reuse the wire?

peter d

Get rid of it. Modern MC cable with lightweight aluminum or steel armor strips so much faster and easier than old BX. Not only that, the insulation on the old conductors will not be as pliable as modern insulation.

rwreuter

also, if the customer thinks they are paying for "new" and they find out that you are using old or used lengths they make an issue out of it.

if that happens, then instead of saving a dime you may end up discounting a "dime".

220/221

Thats what I'm thinking but my boss is trying to save a dime, ya know.

Typically, the more you replace, the more you make.

If he bid to replace and wants to reuse, he will get screwed eventually.

I always opt for replacement so it's good for another 50 years.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Would not reuse on a job for a customer..

However, in principle, would depend on how old it is. If conductors have TW insulation, that is too old. Newer stuff with THHN a lot of times is like new.
Shame to throw it away, though we do a lot. BX is still legal but sort of archaic IMO, due to grounding issues, although there's a newer one with a full-sized bare EGC. I think MC is the future.... or the Tesla wireless power beaming system :roll:

paul

Get rid of it. Most of the electrons are loose, worn out and unstable from years of current being passed through the copper.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Get rid of it. Most of the electrons are loose, worn out and unstable from years of current being passed through the copper.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the electron drain thing. What happens when a wire runs out of electrons, does it just stop conducting ? :D

e57

Because the jacket on the older BX was not suitable for use as an EGC.
It think it WAS but it aint anymore... At some point the construction spec changed - I think it even changed twice.... So depending on how old it is - it might not be an EGC anymore once you "re-install it" - where it WAS when originally installed....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would not reuse on a job for a customer..

However, in principle, would depend on how old it is. If conductors have TW insulation, that is too old. Newer stuff with THHN a lot of times is like new.
Shame to throw it away, though we do a lot. BX is still legal but sort of archaic IMO, due to grounding issues, although there's a newer one with a full-sized bare EGC. I think MC is the future.... or the Tesla wireless power beaming system :roll:

That is actually an MC cable.

Because the jacket on the older BX was not suitable for use as an EGC.

I believe that they was a thread a while ago where someone posted an old quote from an ancient NEC code book that stated all type AC cable, even the stuff manufactured before the 1950's without the bonding strip, had a jacket that was suitable for grounding. I agree with e57, when it was originally installed the jacket was a listed EGC, reuse that old stuff without the bonding strip and it no longer is suitable as an EGC.

iwire

Staff member
I believe that they was a thread a while ago where someone posted an old quote from an ancient NEC code book that stated all type AC cable, even the stuff manufactured before the 1950's without the bonding strip, had a jacket that was suitable for grounding.

Yes Al H posted that.

Jim W in Tampa

I would rather not reuse. Your risking too much. You have warranty to think about. Also as been said the specs usually call for new material. If caught you might find yourself redoing the job. If your boss bid used then fine. You might also get harder time from the inspector because that type of work says cheap so what else did you save on. Bottom line is do as your boss tells you and let the mess be his.

Status
Not open for further replies.