To size a Transformer for a restaurant do I count the continuous load at 100% or 125%

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlston

In the test for load calculation of a restaurant:
To size the transformer for the 120V lighting and other 120V equipment do I count the lighting and continuous load at 125% or the transformer can be sized at 100% of the load no matter if is is continuous or not?

jumper

For the calculated load for conductor sizing, OCPD, etc your continuous loads are at 125%.

Transformers are sized for actual connected load. Sizing the tranny depends on efficiency of tranny and future design.

kwired

Electron manager
For the calculated load for conductor sizing, OCPD, etc your continuous loads are at 125%.

Transformers are sized for actual connected load. Sizing the tranny depends on efficiency of tranny and future design.
Efficiency of tranny? If you have a 50kVA tranny don't you have 50KVA output available regardless of efficiency of the tranny, the difference being on the input power vs output power?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I thought that the manufacturer has figured all of that out and the KVA rating is the maximum rating of the transformer?

jumper

I thought that the manufacturer has figured all of that out and the KVA rating is the maximum rating of the transformer?

Not sure, but I thought that was the max output, not the max efficiency load.

Many transformers are 95% so it is kinda moot.

Variation-of-Efficiency-vs-Loading-of-Copper-Wound-Transformer.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not sure, but I thought that was the max output, not the max efficiency load.

Many transformers are 95% so it is kinda moot.

Variation-of-Efficiency-vs-Loading-of-Copper-Wound-Transformer.png

What about in terms of the OP's question, if the calculation came to 50 kva would you need larger than a 50 kva transformer?

kwired

Electron manager
Like I said 50 kVA transformer should be rated for 50 kVA, continuous. Efficiency would just mean that it gives off less waste heat at whatever that peak efficiency rating is. This no different than a 10 HP motor is rated to output 10 HP. Efficiency can and does make it draw more than 10 HP for input power.

jumper

What about in terms of the OP's question, if the calculation came to 50 kva would you need larger than a 50 kva transformer?

I size the tranny to the actual connected load not the calculated load. I do not factor in for continuous loads.

IOW, if the lighting load is actually 5000VA, I use that number for tranny.

For branch circuit, feeders and service size, I factor in 125% for continuous loads.

topgone

I size the tranny to the actual connected load not the calculated load. I do not factor in for continuous loads.

IOW, if the lighting load is actually 5000VA, I use that number for tranny.

For branch circuit, feeders and service size, I factor in 125% for continuous loads.

On "delicate loads", I sometimes look at the voltage flicker a transformer gives when big motor loads are started.

Status
Not open for further replies.