Too much choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

My biggest complaint about supply houses (and I've found them all to do this, just some more than others) is if I get material quoted for a job, I get a much better price than if I go in and buy it at the counter without a quote.

It is the main reason I quit dealing with Graybar.

iwire

Staff member
hardworkingstiff said:
My biggest complaint about supply houses (and I've found them all to do this, just some more than others) is if I get material quoted for a job, I get a much better price than if I go in and buy it at the counter without a quote.

I always thought that was a good thing as long as you plan ahead you can save big cake.

ITO

Quoting material is aways cheaper than counter prices, that is just how it work. Also the more you buy the better the deal. Counter prices are for T&M service work. Don't get mad a the supply houses, just take this new found knowledge and use it to your advantage.

Last edited:

jrclen

peter d said:
Have you ever run into the "problem" where you have too many suppliers to chose from? Within a 25 mile radius of my home, I have the following.
And of course, at least a dozen Lowe's and Home Depots
It's a real drag living near the city. ;)

What a drag that must be. 60 miles south of me, in the city, we have 3 wholesalers and HD and Menards. 60 miles NE we have 1 wholesaler where I do most of my business. 50 miles north are Loews and Menards. 40 miles west is HD.

kid_stevens

There used to be fifteen Wholesalers here in little Albuquerque and now there are ten and I still only buy from one. I shop the others and when a price is too out of line I let the counter people or the inside salesman know and the price comes down.

Home depot or Lowes only to keep from burning too much fuel. Saving 5 on a light and and not burning 5 more on gas can be a good thing.

tshea

Crescent-SqD, GE
Warner-Cutler
Graybar-SqD
Hein-Cutler
Standard-SqD
GESCO-GE
Boggis-Johnson-SqD
Nelson-Siemens
Viking-SqD
Lowes
HD
Menards

You see my problem? MOst of these suppliers are actually within 20 miles.

I couldn't agree more about developing a relationship with a supplier. Most of the time it's with the outside salesman, but also try to include the inside salesman. The branch managers rotate to quickly. The credit department is another story all together. I could tell you horror stories where they cut you off. How do you find out? When the electrician goes to the counter and the counterman says Sorry no can do.
I won't go into the exact verbage of the call to the credit dept, but it's not pretty!

Chicago

Chicago

Here in the Chicago area, there are hundreds of Distributors- literally. I agree that it is best to work with 2 or 3 vendors-can't put you're eggs all in 1 basket. There are so many "specialty" houses, too- I guess it depends on what you need and how much time you want to spend checking prices. Customer service has Always been very important to me, and getting correct, quality material in a timely manner is worth paying a bit more.

But when doing service work, its ALL about Location AND Local Stock. We are very lucky to have SO many sources available to us here- Its a good thing. Stock is important to me, so having a few "distribution centers" does not work for me as well as somebody with several well stocked locations. Oh, & the counter staff MUST be good, too.

Plus, we have Manufacturer Reps with very good stock near O'Hare as well- which helps smaller dists compete with the big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.