Tool Bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAK

I am looking to buy another tool bag (again) and was wondering what some of you would suggest. I always seem to lose tools via the ripped pockets that my current tool bag seems to generate:mad: . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

satcom

That is a tough one, some of the guys had the same problem, they just repllaced their old ones with the basic HD WorkForce Bags, hope we will have something good to say about them, I own choice would be the Klein bags.

ceknight

MAK said:
I am looking to buy another tool bag (again) and was wondering what some of you would suggest. I always seem to lose tools via the ripped pockets that my current tool bag seems to generate:mad:

I use a Klein cordura bag: http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/5718.html

I don't know whether I can recommend it for durability, I ripped out the middle divider rivet (probably by overstuffing it one day...), but it's a great bag to do service work out of.

360Youth

I just bought one from Lowe's a couple of months ago, if Ican find the exact one I will post it. I checked everything in there and surprisingly it was a $20 bag that I chose. Plenty of room for tools and meter and small case for wire nuts, too. Handle and strap for carrying. Great case, I really like it and seems durable, too.

cadpoint

Tuff-Tote

Tuff-Tote

I've used about all of them Bags, Tool Bags, side bags, Tool Boxes.

I've been real happy with the Ideal Tuff Toot Tool Carrier Here .
the 35-969

Seems to carry about twice the amount of tools as a side bag.

I also use a tool belt with Tape measure, Klein Knife and the Klein 5119 4-pocket pouch.
Here - insert that number into search

Lol, seems Kleins web page of catologs is down for re-working!!!
Bad Timing in my opinion

fourteen/two

Until it was stolen, I was very happy with one of those new Klein bags.
the oval shaped one with the plastic bottom. Plenty of space, sturdy, was always open and easy to riffle thru
Haven't replaced it been uncomfortable with the 50 to 60 dollar price

Have also been using a smaller one sold by Lowes for my phone/cable tools that has worked pretty well It's black and yellow, cost 20 dollars, and is just a smaller version of their electricians tote

For me though after going thru every tool carrying variation out there (bucket, bucket w/pockets, tool boxs, tool bags, various tool belt configurations, using tool belt bag as just a carry bag, and etc) i still just throw everything together, lot of the time not even in the bag just in the truck so i can get going.

Then everythings fine till the next job, and where I'd put the screwdriver hysterics start

I have to agree with cadpoint I use two Ideal tuff totes one is 9 years and the other about two they used to come in leather beige and they now come in black...
I ripped one pocket on the older one, but if you silicone treat them from the beginning they are indestructable.
CON: they are pricy 200+$

charlie k.

The best tool bag I found is the Veto. Picked 2 up last year, the XL and the large. Bought one for my son also. I like mine because you dont need to root through them. Every tool has a place and room for storing small parts. My other favorite is the Klein canvas bag. I use one for my telcom tools.

Charlie

GilbeSpark

JohnJ0906 said:
I use this Husky one. Had it about 2 years, and I like it a good bit. Just had one of the pouches tear though. I don't think I lost anything

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/JohnJ0906/tools/HPIM1226.jpg

I've got that same one. It's pretty durable and mine hasn't torn at all, and I shove that sucker full of stuff.

You're getting different results for your question though. Are you talking about a tool pouch that you would wear with a belt or a tool bag that you would carry?

My helper uses this one, it's bigger and has more room in it:
ImageDisplay.aspx

I'd go and get one too but I use one of these to carry my tools in from place to place and the smaller bag fits neater inside with more room for other stuff in the box:
733417111211md.jpg
I just don't use the tray inside of it.

peter

Anti Tool Bag

Anti Tool Bag

I don't believe in tool bags. Sure I have one, a leather one with a basic kit that keeps things organized, but when it comes time to work, it's a matter of rolling up the shirt sleeves, loosen the neck tie and taking of the tool belt.
Who needs to carry around all that stuff all day? If you are pulling wire, all you need is wire strippers, electrician's hammer [Klein Linesman's] and a utility knife. These fit in the back pocket. For trim out, it's just a cabinet screwdriver, strippers and Phillips screwdriver. For EMT, it's hacksaw, bender [doesn't fit in a tool bag any way] and electricians' chisel [Klein 600 - AKA door stop, tent peg, paint can opener, etc.]/reamer.
I've seen guys lugging a Roto-Split all day long and there isn't a shred of MC on the job site at all. Why do they carry it then? I've seen guys with humongous tool bags loaded with every tool they own. The problem is that this is all the tools they own. Then they slog a 3 1/2' wide swath through the office and their over-hanging bags sweep the secratary's cherished, heirloom flower vase and evrything else to the floor.
My present armament is a simple canvas apron: one big pocket for wire nuts and the other for "stuff". A slot for my utility knife [not razor knife!], another for two small groove joint pliers [Knipex and ChannelLock GL-6] and a 6" half round file. I have rolls of black and white phase tape somewhere in there too. This is the basic set up.
But I also have one of those big tool bags like the cartoon burglers in the Saterday Evening Post used to have. That is 38 pounds of stuff.
But I also have a tool cart which I recommend to everyone. This carries the 38 lb. as well as benders, drill and whatever else I be needing for the day.
So escew tool belts. They may enhance a character role on stage or screen but they're really dead weight. Norm Abrams always straps on his tool belt at the beginning of his show and he never takes any tool out of it.
~Peter

peter said:
I don't believe in tool bags....Who needs to carry around all that stuff all day?...I've seen guys lugging a Roto-Split all day long and there isn't a shred of MC on the job site at all...So escew tool belts. ~Peter

Amen brother!

My basic arms Kleins/stripper/flat/phillips/razor knife/dikes all fit neatly in a nice compact leather ironworkers pouch (Klein 5118) when I need other things I'll add their holder to the toolbelt and/or substitute something out of the basic pouch. Keep the "bag of tricks" in the gangbox. ;)

View attachment 1116

cbranter said:
I have to agree with cadpoint I use two Ideal tuff totes one is 9 years and the other about two they used to come in leather beige and they now come in black...
I ripped one pocket on the older one, but if you silicone treat them from the beginning they are indestructable.
CON: they are pricy 200+$

The bag/pouch like that from Klein is @$100 at Grainger.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I use the CLC Electricians pouches from Home Depot. Generally, they sit on the floor (three tools on my hip, in a hodgepodge of unpadded workbelt, leather 2-compartment pouch, similar to an apron but the tools stay put); but when I wear the full belt, I have everything I need and I can wear them all day if necessary.

I carry my cordless drill, sawzall, and sundries in my Milwaukee duffle bag. When I walk in, my full bags are slid onto my bender through the handloops (like a hobo, and I might also throw my parachute bag of EMT connectors on too, if I think I'll use them). My Milwaukee bag is slung over the same shoulder. I carry a lot of weight first thing in the morning, and at the end of the day, but I make one round trip with tools for the most part.

quogueelectric

full toolbelt and nail apron

full toolbelt and nail apron

Anything less than this just screams loligaging. This is my opinion. Veto makes the best toolbags

hey_poolboy

I use a Klein pouch, but my tool tote is a Bucket Boss. I've only had it for a couple years, but it's holding up well.
443289.jpg

This isn't the same one I have. Mine is a little bigger, but I couldn't find an image of it anywhere.

HighWirey

Peter posted
"So escew tool belts. They may enhance a character role on stage or screen but they're really dead weight. Norm Abrams always straps on his tool belt at the beginning of his show and he never takes any tool out of it"

Don't forget, Norm has a staff of 100 people to 'assist' him . . .

Best Wishes

PetrosA

Think first, buy later :)

Think first, buy later :)

I'm amazed at how many guys are lugging 25-50 lb. tool bags around. Maybe they need it all at hand, but I doubt it. The last time I needed a new bag, my priority was keeping it as light as possible (which also meant getting a set of 6 screwdrivers from Wiha and Knipex dykes, linemans, and a 10" cobra). I figured I could have a light bag with just the basics and keep a second small bag with stuff like the 2 lb. sledge, cold chisels, etc. that come in handy for jobs like meter bases and services.

I settled on this bag from Sears for the light bag:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948465000P

It looks good, is light, can be hung where I'm working or can be set on its kickstand. So far it's holding up fine. The other bag is just a cheapie.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.