Tool Bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I started my construction life as a residential framer, and was taught to always wear my belt. It carried over when I was an electrician, so you would rarely see me without my belt.

It used to drive me crazy to watch people climb down a ladder for a tool that I had in my belt, then climb back up, then back down, then back up, etc.

76nemo

Light loads

Light loads

Doing mainly maintenance, I use Fluke's C550 bag. It has metal framing support to protect your meters and is as durable as could be. All test equipment stays in the enclosed bag, and I keep all frontline mechanicals in a tool pouch I carry over my shoulder. I also use their bucket buddies as a general carrier with lots of connectors, and misc.. That gets me what I need to grab. If it's construction, than it's five tool boxes and a truck bed for the big stuff:rolleyes: I can't imagine all of the tools you commercial and industrial construction guys/gals have.
It's not a better tool bag I need, it's someone else to help me carry it all:roll:

e57

Skillers pants and a small pouch - linemans and a few screwdrivers. Sometimes a vest

Then lots of klien tool boxes suited for task specific stuff. A box for rough, (NM/MC) one for finish, one for phone, one for emt..... Sure some of them have the same tools in them - but if one gets mis-placed there are spares..... Misc. materials in each... They stack nicely on a two wheeler for high-rise and commercial work - or easy carry on, and OFF of resi jobs.

Last edited:

JohnE

cbranter said:
I have to agree with cadpoint I use two Ideal tuff totes one is 9 years and the other about two they used to come in leather beige and they now come in black...
I ripped one pocket on the older one, but if you silicone treat them from the beginning they are indestructable.
CON: they are pricy 200+$

When I bought mine a couple years ago I was told it has a lifetime warranty. You might want to check.

JohnE

ryan_618 said:
I started my construction life as a residential framer, and was taught to always wear my belt. It carried over when I was an electrician, so you would rarely see me without my belt.

It used to drive me crazy to watch people climb down a ladder for a tool that I had in my belt, then climb back up, then back down, then back up, etc.

I only wore a cloth apron until I got into some framing and now wear one of the occidental leather framing aprons. Now can not do wiring other than finish work without it.:smile:

What drives me crazy though are the guys carrying tools all day every day in an overstuffed pouch that they only use once a week.

peter d

I use a hyrbid approach. If I'm doing basic tasks, then I'll just carry a few tools around in my pockets. But for anything more than that, like roughing a house or running pipe or whatever, I like to have a tool belt so everything is right there: staples, pipe clips, screws, etc.

e57

One word about bags - sciatica I will never wear bags again!
Same word for heavy tools - all of mine are light wieght Knipex or WiHa if carried on me. Every thing else in a box +/or on a cart.
Also, 12v and 14.4 tools do the job just as well as 18 or 24v without the wieght - a 12v impact driver will drive screws for a week and wiegh a lot less than a 18v drill.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh_publications/ElectriciansErgo.pdf
(I could probably expand 3 fold on that document...)

FYI - I got into posting here due to back pain keeping me up all night....
This trade is murder on the body if you pay it no mind - I mind mine very well now due to previous stupidity.....

Last edited:

GilbeSpark

Here's what I use for rough in and finish work:
2500mp.jpg

On the rough I just add a nail apron for staples, nails and screws.

76nemo

What about test equipment?

What about test equipment?

What are some of you guys carrying for test equipment on maintenance calls?
In other words, when you guys walk onto site for a maintenance call, not knowing really what you are getting into, what is your artillery? I am talking of automation and industrial work. What do you carry, and why for instance?

76nemo said:
What are some of you guys carrying for test equipment on maintenance calls?
In other words, when you guys walk onto site for a maintenance call, not knowing really what you are getting into, what is your artillery? I am talking of automation and industrial work. What do you carry, and why for instance?

Fluke #87V, #902, #116, #68 in a bag and a bigger assortment out in the truck. Why? because that's what it takes to be accurate in your diagnosis.

e57 said:
Skillers pants and a small pouch - linemans and a few screwdrivers. Sometimes a vest

Then lots of klien tool boxes suited for task specific stuff. A box for rough, (NM/MC) one for finish, one for phone, one for emt..... Sure some of them have the same tools in them - but if one gets mis-placed there are spares..... Misc. materials in each... They stack nicely on a two wheeler for high-rise and commercial work - or easy carry on, and OFF of resi jobs.

I like the way you think.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
GilbeSpark said:
Here's what I use for rough in and finish work:
2500mp.jpg

On the rough I just add a nail apron for staples, nails and screws.
A guy at work wears those (can be found here), and I've been tempted to look them up and see how much they were. He truly looks very comfortable and productive with them.

76nemo

randomkiller said:
Fluke #87V, #902, #116, #68 in a bag and a bigger assortment out in the truck. Why? because that's what it takes to be accurate in your diagnosis.

Ahhhh, another fellow Fluke believer:grin: Nice selection!!! Quick question, why did you go with the 902 instead of the 337?

~Why? because that's what it takes to be accurate in your diagnosis.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that my friend, and third, and so on,................!!!!!!!!!!!!

danickstr

I have leather bags and when I lose a rivet, I just add a grommet and take a piece of #12 and wire it shut. Never fails after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.