Tools for quality work

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Hello all, I am new to the forum here. Currently working as an industrial electrician at a mine/milling facility. I am seeking anyone's input on tools, equipment, or other devices that produce higher quality work, more reliability, and/or less wear and tear on the body.

Some tools I have bought since starting my current job
  • Klein locknut wrench set (better than hitting locknuts with hammer/screwdriver in my opinion)
  • RIDGID pipe reamer (allows deburring/reaming inside and outside of conduit)
  • flush cutters (to flush cut zip ties)
Anyways, does anyone have any must have tools/equipment they use in their electrical work?

Hello all, I am new to the forum here. Currently working as an industrial electrician at a mine/milling facility. I am seeking anyone's input on tools, equipment, or other devices that produce higher quality work, more reliability, and/or less wear and tear on the body.

• Klein locknut wrench set (better than hitting locknuts with hammer/screwdriver in my opinion)
Anyways, does anyone have any must have tools/equipment they use in their electrical work?
Milwaukee hack-zall. Throw any and every other regular sawzall in the garbage. Also get a cordless band saw. Fluke voltage detector (again throw any other brand in the garbage). As retirede said, a low impedance tester of some sort .

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
-Small ratcheting right angle screw driver that takes 1/4” bits.
I carry a 6” metal ruler in my tool bag makes measuring or laying out stuff in small areas easier than messing with a tape measure.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
.....and the "surge"/ hydraulic version, it's a lot quieter. 💜
I used the surge for several months, it is very quite and while I bragged it up to co-workers it’s left me humbled and embarrassed as it wouldn’t loosen a bolt that an old OG fuel done without hesitation.

I almost only use an M12 fuel impact for everything now. If I can’t use it I go straight to my 1/2” stubby.

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I also purchased a Thomas & Betts ERG4001 hand crimper for various Sta-Kon insulated terminal rings and splices to maintain compliance with 110.3(B). The crimps are perfect every time, and if I'm not mistaken the crimp barrel leaves a specific identifying mark to prove the correct crimping tool was used.

garbo

I only purchase & use tools ,safety & test equipment made mostly in the USA. I only own one cheating lack of quality control cheating communist china tool. A warranty replacement for an 45 year old Craftsman breaker bar. If I only have a few ty rabs to cut prefer to use one of my heavier side cutters and twist the ends until they snap and provide a fairly dull end. Then give the end a couple of hits with side cutters to provide a dull edge. Like my three different T & B hand crimpers ( ABB bought them out maybe 10 years ago ). Like the Klein combination screwdriver with 1/2, 3/4 & 1" EMT reamer . Prefer Channelock pump pliers& needle nose pliers, 6 point sockets, Fluke VOM & clamp on amp meters, almost any brand of brushless power tools, and Klein insulated screwdrivers. Quality tools make a difference but proper PPE is the most important thing. Should always have at least one new test lead for meters so its available when an old one fails. If you need to use a megger would suggest to.purchase a best in class Fluke combination digital VOM with a built in megger. Used one several times a week and dropped it off a 6' ladder halve a dozen tines and was still working ten years later.

cheating lack of quality control cheating communist china tool.
Please quit it with that drivel, we've heard the song before. There are a lot of quality devices coming out of factories in China, like, say, some Fluke meters (and Apple iPhones, xBoxes, KitchenAid mixers, Lenovo computer, etc). Yes, a large amount of very-low-priced stuff also comes from there, but here in the Good Ol' USA we make cheap crap, too. Just don't get the cheap stuff and expect it to be as good.

Look for a respected brand, like Fluke or Lenovo, not the country of manufacture.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I only own one cheating lack of quality control cheating communist china tool.
almost any brand of brushless power tools,
Fluke VOM
Well, your first statement is wrong, as evidenced by the other two statements!

Sure Fluke might still drop the circuit board into the plastic case in Everett Washington... of certain models. The others arrive there assembled. "Designed in Everett WA".

What cordless tool do you have that is made in the US? Again, Dewalt assembles some in Towson MD. Most internal parts are not made here.

Zbang is right! Go for quality names that are still quality driven, not have been bought by money grubbing capitalists who don't give a &^%#$ about quality (Craftsman I'm speaking to you!). :eek:

What? Locknut wrenches? I've not seen them. Now I have seen pictures. Do they work well? At lest they seem to be a one handed tool, unlike the screwdriver and Kleins method.(y)

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I don't feel it is the tools as much as what you do with them. There are top notch journeymen out there who have used Kleins for decades to strip solid wire. And very professionally. So, "higher quality work" is not an appropriate phrase for you question in my opinion. It is more about what skills you have, and what work your job entails. For example I have a flex splitter. Just like and MC splitter but it does 1/2" and 3/4" flex. I love it. I have a ty wrap gun. Cuts them off flush. I wouldn't do without either. I also wouldn't require my peers to get one. Another deciding factor is frequency of task. If I only cut stock once a week, then a regular old hack saw is probably sufficient.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I don't feel it is the tools as much as what you do with them. There are top notch journeymen out there who have used Kleins for decades to strip solid wire. And very professionally. So, "higher quality work" is not an appropriate phrase for you question in my opinion. It is more about what skills you have, and what work your job entails. For example I have a flex splitter. Just like and MC splitter but it does 1/2" and 3/4" flex. I love it. I have a ty wrap gun. Cuts them off flush. I wouldn't do without either. I also wouldn't require my peers to get one. Another deciding factor is frequency of task. If I only cut stock once a week, then a regular old hack saw is probably sufficient.
Now good tools can make an amazing install. Yes my letherman had saved me in a pinch but I'm not doing any "high quality" work with it.

Everyone needs to tailor their own tools to their needs. Example I have 3 claw hammers and a staple shark and cats paw in my tools. An industrial guy wouldn't need those.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Now good tools can make an amazing install. Yes my letherman had saved me in a pinch but I'm not doing any "high quality" work with it.

Everyone needs to tailor their own tools to their needs. Example I have 3 claw hammers and a staple shark and cats paw in my tools. An industrial guy wouldn't need those.
My leatherman has saved me many calories from walking back and forth to the truck for strippers, screw driver etc.