Tools for quality work

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
For romex rough in or multiple wafer lights Rackatiers Crocks wire strippers. Klien has terrible ones

A good rechargeable headlamp 500 lumins min

An old beater screwdriver

Drill taps

A good 3/8th socket set
What makes the Rackatiers Croc's wire strippers great in your opinion?

I have a variety of Klein and Ideal wire strippers and don't have any issues with them. Do most people here just use a razorblade to strip larger guage wire? Anything from AWG #8 to #2.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Oscillating tool is a necessity when doing old work in residential. Dremel tool is seldom used but it can get you out of a jamb when nothing else will work.

I use the Ideal solenoid tester to carry around with me. If I need my meter I get the Fluke out of the truck. I figure the less I carry the Fluke the smaller the chance of leaving it behind or dropping/breaking it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Oscillating tool is a necessity when doing old work in residential. Dremel tool is seldom used but it can get you out of a jamb when nothing else will work.

I use the Ideal solenoid tester to carry around with me. If I need my meter I get the Fluke out of the truck. I figure the less I carry the Fluke the smaller the chance of leaving it behind or dropping/breaking it.
I use my Dremel (Milwaukee) all the time. If you have a socket head screw stripped out, you can cut a slot in the head and remove the screw with a slotted screwdriver. Some KOs, especially in meter bases, won't knock out without taking more rings out than you need. Take the Dremel and cut the welds, the KO's will come out easy.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

I have a variety of Klein and Ideal wire strippers and don't have any issues with them. Do most people here just use a razorblade to strip larger guage wire? Anything from AWG #8 to #2.
This is specific to romex strippers. The Klien has terrible handles and Ideal have 2 sizes 1 for 14 and 1 for 12. The crocks are right in the middle and cut clean. My ideal romex strippers only ever lasted a year before getting dull. The crocks last and last I've gotten 3 years out of them. I do have some klien forged wire strippers that are 7 years old now and still work good but they aren't romex strippers

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician

On the larger size wire I use a knife passed 6. 8 and 6 I use my strippers opened up so they don't score the copper. Idk of anyone who uses the fancy splice knife or adjustable stripper for large sizes

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
This is specific to romex strippers. The Klien has terrible handles and Ideal have 2 sizes 1 for 14 and 1 for 12. The crocks are right in the middle and cut clean. My ideal romex strippers only ever lasted a year before getting dull. The crocks last and last I've gotten 3 years out of them. I do have some klien forged wire strippers that are 7 years old now and still work good but they aren't romex strippers
Ah okay, nearly everything at my facility is tray cable, or RMC using THHN wires. I don't have much exposure to NM.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I have a pair of Southwire Romex strippers and they seem pretty good. You have to put them on the cable straight. If at an angle when you strip the outer jacket you can nick the conductors