Top Rated Hard Hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

OSHA requires an electrically rated hard hat anytime a worker might contact electricity.

If a company does not require the employee to wear a electrically rated hard hat and than the employee ends up getting a shock of say a temp cable or splice the company is going to get fined for it.

Heh, for years I wondered why the operators at the plant wore white hardhats while electricians had blue. Mine is so old that any class c stickers have long since been obliterated-do you know if the shells were/are stamped with the rating and ANSI specs?

iwire

Staff member
Heh, for years I wondered why the operators at the plant wore white hardhats while electricians had blue. Mine is so old that any class c stickers have long since been obliterated-do you know if the shells were/are stamped with the rating and ANSI specs?

For sure the info should be on the inside.

Where I work white is lead, blue a worker.

kwired

Electron manager
Like Bob mentioned, color may have more to do with identification then any difference in rating of the hard hat.

There may be different color for leaders, general workers, maintenance, visitors....

iwire

Staff member
Like Bob mentioned, color may have more to do with identification then any difference in rating of the hard hat.

There may be different color for leaders, general workers, maintenance, visitors....

We used to have pink hardhats for those that forgot to bring theirs.

Not PC so it had to stop. :roll:

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
We used to have pink hardhats for those that forgot to bring theirs.

Not PC so it had to stop. :roll:
Why not PC? Anybody that challenges that can then also be challenged on discriminatory assumptions. What's wrong with pink? Are you saying pink is any different than the other colors? Why? We choose pink because its what we had left, there's nothing funny about pink.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My big issue is getting one that fits properly. I have a large cranium. The thing is of dubious use if it doesn't fit you properly, both to isolate your head and to stay on.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My big issue is getting one that fits properly. I have a large cranium. The thing is of dubious use if it doesn't fit you properly, both to isolate your head and to stay on.
I've found that if the ratchet wheel is made out of plastic, it isn't long before the adjustable band decides that you really need to be a size 10. I look for the ones with brass teeth on the wheel.

garbo

I'm fixing to switch jobs and I haven't had to wear a hard hat in a long time. What are some reviews on the hard hats you wear?
I always wore company supplied hard hats along with PPE.Just to cover your butt I would NEVER provide my own hard hat. Believe going by OSHA hard hats must be replaced every year. Worked at a cheap fortune 500 company that wanted all electricians to purchase their own meters. Refused then they said they would purchase each shift a meter. Told them no and that I never share toothbrushes, undetwear, safety equipment or meters with others. They purchased cheapest meters that I refuse to use due to only going up to 250 or 300 volts AC. Broke their cheap hearts when I told them they were no good on the 480 volts AC & up to 680 Volts DC on VFD buss voltage. Finally let me pick out a Fluke meter for the job. Often saw contractors wearing old hard hats that looked like they went thru a war.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I bought a pyramex brand hard hat in lieu of the one provided by my company because I like it better. I'm interested in one of those klein hard hats with the built in headlight.
I wear a Pyramax Ridgeline. I won't wear the $5 junk my company provides because of the suspension adjuster. For me the ratcheting suspension is a must. Had it for about 3 years now with no issues. Looks great, light weight, and I only paid $23 on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.