Tork timer not keeping time

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I replaced my pool timer a couple of months ago with a Tork 1109A mechanical 240v timer. A couple of weeks in, I noticed it was not keeping time. Voltage is 243, frequency is 60hz.

Maybe 2/wks ago I replaced it with a new timer, and it’s doing the same thing. I’ve been adjusting the time every couple of days and it’s still dragging. Two days ago it was several hours off. I reset it to the correct time then, and today it was 4/hrs off. I reset it again, and within a couple of hours it was already 30 minutes off.

The only thing i can think of is that maybe the trippers are dragging it? That shouldn’t happen though. And after i reset it today it was already off, so no chance the trippers caused that.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Tork timer recently ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You're sure the power isn't being interrupted, right? Really strange. How about putting it "on the bench" and powering it up. See what it does. Can only be defective if it doesn't keep time.

-Hal

synchro

Occupation
EE
After looking at a manual online, are you sure that nothing is connected to terminal #4 which is the motor tap for 120V? Just asking because I can't think of much else, unless it's a mechanical problem.
I would think that synchronous motors would be reasonably immune to noise, but is there a variable speed pump that's on the same branch circuit or feeder?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
You're sure the power isn't being interrupted, right? Really strange. How about putting it "on the bench" and powering it up. See what it does. Can only be defective if it doesn't keep time.

-Hal

Im not certain of that; it would be a defective breaker if so. But I did set the time, then to check it about 2/hrs later and it was 30 min off.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
After looking at a manual online, are you sure that nothing is connected to terminal #4 which is the motor tap for 120V? Just asking because I can't think of much else, unless it's a mechanical problem.
I would think that synchronous motors would be reasonably immune to noise, but is there a variable speed pump that's on the same branch circuit or feeder?

Yes, only connected to terminals 1 & 2/3.

Only motors are pool pump and booster pump, and my well pump is fed from this panel also.

oldsparky52

It almost has to be the multi voltage timer motor? Could be a bad batch from the factory? Maybe the timer motor was assembled wrong from the new guy at the factory? IDK

What would happen if the factory guy miswired the timer connections?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Pardon me but here is a stupid question. I've seen in other situation. The power for the timer, it's not being feed from a switched source is it?
I've seen a case where a installer for a freezer unit for Rich Plan had an intermittent power issue. The tech installed freezer in basement and plugged unit into the receptacle that was recently installed by someone (probably HO) for the new freezer. Was all setup and running fine, and left, HO was leaving that day for a week away. When they got back all the food thawed, they called Rich Plan and reported the odd situation that the freezer was running but all the food thawed. The tech went back and checked the freezer and it was indeed running and cooling. He had them turn the basement lights off and the freezer stopped. The receptacle was installed on a switched source. So just asking.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Check the metal dial. It may come loose from the motor shaft. Make sure its tight and cant spin independent of the motor shaft.

If you bench test it, remove the trippers and see if it maintains time by itself.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
alright, I'm not crazy, I'm telling you this thing has not been keeping time. Neither did the last one....

BUT....

I reset the time at 10PM on Wednesday, I checked it four times yesterday, the last being 11PM last night, and it has kept the correct time for over 24/hrs now.

Will check again shortly.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
alright, I'm not crazy, I'm telling you this thing has not been keeping time. Neither did the last one....

BUT....

I reset the time at 10PM on Wednesday, I checked it four times yesterday, the last being 11PM last night, and it has kept the correct time for over 24/hrs now.

Will check again shortly.
Maybe a Chinese product and when set it for a tomorrow time, accross the international date line, (today USA is Thursday at time of your post) the equipment accepted the time.
But seriously is any chance the circuit feeding timer is switched?
Here is another scenario that just thought of. Had one that was giving me a hassle getting time to stay correct, in end I found the timer either didn't take the input to run, or I didn't select the run option correctly or setting start/stop rather actual time, and time would be off. Would get this a couple of times a year when adjusting for daylight savings. Setting modes weren't easy to identify with the small screen and my aging eyes to know what mode it's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.