Tork timer not keeping time

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Still keeping time.

I have a new theory that the guys servicing my pool are doing something to it. Either turning off the breaker while servicing or spinning the dial to turn it off and back on. We got a new service tech on my route soon after i installed the new timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
It’s broken. The problem is the ‘off’ tripper. It started lagging again a week or so ago. Monday the clock face was free spinning, today when I got home it had broken and fallen off. The mechanism for the off tripper doesn’t work at all when manually depressed. These are the trippers that came with the time clock.

I noticed a few days ago it was hanging at the off time.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Hmmm, I had a problem with a Tork 1101 recently. Replaced an old one and a few weeks later the customer complains that the new one won't shut off. I looked at it and thought someone had turned the dial the wrong way. The off tripper was jammed against the mechanism. Since the 1101 uses the same clock mechanism, from your problem I'm wondering if Tork has a problem.

Since I blamed the problem on the customer's employees not knowing how to reset the time he decided not to replace it again. :confused: Now I'm not so sure.

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Hmmm, I had a problem with a Tork 1101 recently. Replaced an old one and a few weeks later the customer complains that the new one won't shut off. I looked at it and thought someone had turned the dial the wrong way. The off tripper was jammed against the mechanism. Since the 1101 uses the same clock mechanism, from your problem I'm wondering if Tork has a problem.

Since I blamed the problem on the customer's employees not knowing how to reset the time he decided not to replace it again. :confused: Now I'm not so sure.

-Hal

That’s two in a row for me.

I’ve been wanting to add a salt cell and the Pentair Intellicontrol box; I think I might just go ahead and do the pentair. It’s either that or do a contactor and programmable switch.

I will investigate more, but I’m wondering if the Off tripper is too long and hanging up on the off mechanism? Something is definitely wrong with the trippers.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I prefer Intermatic over Tork, especially the digital models.

These two timers were the first Tork mechanical timers I've ever purchased. Both my local suppliers, HD, & Lowe's all stopped carrying Intermatic and stock Tork instead. I needed a replacement intermatic pool timer a couple of weeks ago and had to order it.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
That’s two in a row for me.

I’ve been wanting to add a salt cell and the Pentair Intellicontrol box; I think I might just go ahead and do the pentair. It’s either that or do a contactor and programmable switch.

I will investigate more, but I’m wondering if the Off tripper is too long and hanging up on the off mechanism? Something is definitely wrong with the trippers.

I'm a Jandy guy so I'm partial over the Pentair.

Jandy 6614-APL is a 100 amp sub-panel power center with the salt system built in. You just need the cell. I use this on all new builds and renos.
6613 -AP is a power center also with salt. Not a sub.
6612-F is a foundation panel. No salt, not a sub. You would need separate salt power center and cell for salt

iQ30 Web connect allows operation through an app or your computer or tablet.

Never had good luck with Tork timers. Intermatic has been spot on for years for me.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Just left supplier getting a warranty replacement on the timer. Counter guy told me he’s had a few returned in the last month with the same problem.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I called Tork. There’s an issue and they are aware of it.

They recently changed the dial to have divits around the edge. They think the problem is when the tripper screw isn’t lined up just right in the divit, it twists slightly when it hits the off switch, and that causes the dial to bind up. It also warps the dial face, which is why the face of mine likely fell off.

Tork tech support told me they’re re-designing the dial and trippers

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I called Tork. There’s an issue and they are aware of it.

They recently changed the dial to have divits around the edge. They think the problem is when the tripper screw isn’t lined up just right in the divit, it twists slightly when it hits the off switch, and that causes the dial to bind up. It also warps the dial face, which is why the face of mine likely fell off.

Tork tech support told me they’re re-designing the dial and trippers

Well, it's a wonder they actually explained things to you. Sadly, not the usual response you get from a manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.