torque screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i actually have a couple questions. im looking to buy a nice torque screwdriver. im looking at the klein one to match my other klein torque wrenches. will 36 inch pounds be enough for slotted breaker terminals and other slotted terminals for electrical conductors? i dont remember what the specs say inside the meter sockets and on breakers. another question does anybody know where i can find a 3/8 inch drive half inch wide long hex key? i cant seem to find one anywhere. and if they dont make it will an adapter that changes from half inch drive to 3/8 drive effect torque?

wptski

I have a GE double 30A breaker that's marked 45 in/lbs and a ITE double 30A breaker marked 25 in/lbs.

Look at the the Wiha brand and get the 1/4" bit adapter. You'll be able to use standard 1/4" bits.

wallyworld

electricalperson said:
if they dont make it will an adapter that changes from half inch drive to 3/8 drive effect torque?

I was always taught adapters on a torque wrench will change the actual values of torque. That was in relation to working on engines though so much higher readings. Not so sure it would be a big deal at lower readings??

480sparky

electricalperson said:
. another question does anybody know where i can find a 3/8 inch drive half inch wide long hex key? i cant seem to find one anywhere. and if they dont make it will an adapter that changes from half inch drive to 3/8 drive effect torque?

I make my own with sockets and cut hex keys with a chop saw. Epoxy 'em in place and go to work.

It does not affect torque one bit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
does anybody know where i can find a 3/8 inch drive half inch wide long hex key?
You could always jam two nuts at the end of a 1/2"-headed bolt the length you need, and turn it with a regular socket.

will an adapter that changes from half inch drive to 3/8 drive effect torque?
If you hold everything correctly, the accuracy should be maintained.

Bob NH

wallyworld said:
I was always taught adapters on a torque wrench will change the actual values of torque. That was in relation to working on engines though so much higher readings. Not so sure it would be a big deal at lower readings??

Crowfoot adapters will affect the torque if they increase the effective length of the wrench. They will not affect the torque if you put the crowfoot at 90 degrees to the handle so it doesn't affect the length of the arm.

Direct adapters where the axis of the driver is coincident with the axis of the fastener will not affect the torque measurement.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
electricalperson said:
thank you:grin: now im going to go buy that klein torque screwdriver.

You might also look at the Snap-on.

I generally swear by Klein, but I have never been that happy
with the torque screwdriver. The adjustment mechanism,
which is sort of a fold-out strip is a little weak IMO, and it
is easy to over-torque it.

I haven't used the Snap-on, although I have an acquaintance who is very happy with his. I'd look at it if I was was going to buy another torque screwdriver.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
electricalperson said:
... and if they dont make it will an adapter that changes from half inch drive to 3/8 drive effect torque?
Adapters that don't change the center line between the wrench and the bolt or screw have little effect on the torque value.

mark32

I own Klein's torque screwdriver and my buddies ALWAYS roll their eyes when they see me walking towards a panel with it, I don't use it all the time though. As you said (The OP) it goes up to 36" pounds, I also have an S&K 3/8 drive inch/pounds torque wrench that goes from 25 up to, I forget, around 250 I think, that covers most of the terminations I've come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.