Torque Wrench Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

svaurez

I'm thinking about buying the Klein Master Electricians Torque wrench set.The two wrenches adjust between 40 and 1200 inch pounds.

Will I ever need to torque beyond 1200 inch pounds?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Torque Wrench Set

1200 inch pounds is 100 ft/lbs. I have the same two torque wrenches, I can't ever recall going more than about 50 ft lbs. Most terminals are 20-40 ft/lbs. I just did a 400 amp CT service with the CT mounting base, but there was no torque spec on the 1/2" bolts for the nema 2 hole lugs. I called the mfg and they said 65-70 ft lbs, I could get to 50 ft/lbs, but I felt 70 would pull the studs thru the copper buss bar. The lug mfg, burndy recommended 50 ft/lbs, so thats what I used. I intend to contact UL as to why there are not torque specs on the CT mounting base.

brian john

Tom:

I agree 45-50 is the max we see (usally), I find the lower end torque, more usefull. Most electricians are amazed when they find out they have been over tightening by have been bearing down, utilizing cheater bars, to get that tight connection.

caosesvida

I love klein tools some of them can't be bought from any one else, but torque wrenches can, and at a much lower price. I have been using a sears ft' pound for over 20 years, I don't get it calibrated, we are not talking nasa specs. But I have checked it against other torque wrenches. Anyway it has held up very well and was about 40 bucks I also have the klien inch pound one and also has held up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.