Track Current Limiter

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyone ever heard/seen this? What is it for and is it an actual stand alone device that needs a separate installation? Thanks.

1724552032775.png

1724551960492.png

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I've pulled at least a dozen watt limiters out of ceiling fans for customers. The manufacturers are getting pretty good at hiding them. A couple of them I had to dissemble the entire motor surround to get to the limiter.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've pulled at least a dozen watt limiters out of ceiling fans for customers. The manufacturers are getting pretty good at hiding them. A couple of them I had to dissemble the entire motor surround to get to the limiter.
What is the purpose of the limiter in the ceiling fan?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Presumable to limit the lighting load of any built-in/on lights.
Right so why would someone need to remove it? I would think that with a LED replacement for an A style lamp there would be enough light even with the limiter.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What is the purpose of the limiter in the ceiling fan?
Older fans- limit the wattage so people wouldn't put 100 watt bulbs in all three lamps.
LEDs would blink in them when they are changed out. LED circuitry doesn't play well with the limiters.

Government mandated they be installed and all sockets be candelabra base back in 2005. Have no clue why the government thought a 60W Edison base would pull more than a 60W candelabra...

Last edited: