Track Lighting - Commercial Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I have a client requesting track lighting in a commercial kitchen. This seems extremely dangerous because most track lighting has an open track where grease could easily settle inside their and it would be impossible to clean. Anyone seen anything like this before? I have seen it used in kitchens in the past but obviously that doesent make it right.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have a client requesting track lighting in a commercial kitchen. This seems extremely dangerous because most track lighting has an open track where grease could easily settle inside their and it would be impossible to clean. Anyone seen anything like this before? I have seen it used in kitchens in the past but obviously that doesent make it right.

You might check with your Public Health Code. Some of them require the ceilings to be washable, or lighting fixtures to be enclosed.

Npstewart

That is the case around here as well and thats what I told the client. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

dereckbc

Staff member
I do not know of any electrical code that would prevent it, but I am certain Local Department of Health and their Inspectors would take issue with it. To go one step further from a design POV I would think Water Tight lighting would be in play for sanitary reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.