Track lighting mounted on suspended ceiling T-Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

flick

Hello everone,
I have a customer that has some used track lighting that he'd like mounted on a suspended ceiling. Anyone here ever done this? I never have, so curious as to mounting methods. The lights also have a 1/2" KO on the back side to feed the track. Would it be ok to run AC or MC cable through the ceiling panel with connector in KO, or is there a better way with some type of adapter. I have no instructions since these are used. They are UL listed and seem to be of commercial quality. Just out of my realm of experience. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

mdshunk

Re: Track lighting mounted on suspended ceiling T-Grid

I know that Caddy makes a pretty sweet fitting for mounting track to the t-bar. It also sounds like you're missing the end feed fitting to your system. It's like a canopy thing that mounts on a box and plugs into the end of the track.

flick

I'm pretty sure this system doesn't have an end feed. It has a factory KO on the back of one end, and the actual track end is molded plastic and is still in place. I know what you're talking about as far as the feed canopy. That's the type I commonly see. I'm guessing these were high dollar units, probably salvaged from a store or restaurant. I'll pull out the caddy catalog. I remember seeing some "twist on" hangers with stud on the bottom. Maybe I can use them. But, would it be permissable to run an AC or MC connector into the KO through the ceiling panel? Not sure, but I don't see a code problem with that.

kbsparky

Installing an MC or AC connector into the back of the live end through a small hole in the ceiling panel is how we've done it several times. No box or canopy kit is required.

Ensure the connector is properly seated into the live end, and make your hole in the ceiling tile as small as possible. I have found that you can orient the connector's set screws to align with the track, so if you need to make a larger hole (oval shape), you can hide it with the track assembly itself.

I assume there are screw terminals available for the wires to connect?

jbwhite

i think you can get those spify t bar hangers for track light and any supply house. i know the local big box store has them.

paul

Caddy's Track Lighting Clips

102959.jpg

103060.jpg

celtic

Originally posted by flick:
Would it be ok to run AC or MC cable through the ceiling panel with connector in KO,
As you run your circuits and/or switching...remember that you will only have room for ONE cable/2 conductors (don't even try a duplex conn.) - I have seen complete stores wired "daisy chain" only to have the feeds ripped out and re-run.

AC yes, MC maybe? - check for that ground screw BEFORE committing to MC.

davedottcom

The Caddy Clips with the 1/4 x 20 threaded studs that Paul displayed work great.

mhulbert

If you are going to run the track on a T-bar, they make an octagon box with a slot through it that allows it to straddle the T, and then you use a canopy feed over the jbox...the only difference is that you have a TBar going through the middle of it.

Since you only have conduit feeds, this doesn't apply to you, but you may encounter it in future installs.

mike

flick

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated!

John

eprice

Also consider that CISCA (Ceilings & Interior Systems Construction Association) guidelines are referenced by the IBC. Depending upon the seismic zone you are in, these guidlines may require the lighting fixtures to be additionaly supported by two #12 guage hanger wires attached to the structure above the suspended ceiling.

iwire

Staff member

I like to use these caddy IDS clips instead.

1315.jpg

13131416.jpg

They go on easy and provide a spot to attach the ceiling tie wire.

[ December 01, 2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.