track lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
installing track lighting on the job(Express clothing store)the in and out feeds are already there. the track lights comes with its own connector to accept the feed and its only enough space for one 12-2. now, where its a feed in and out the foreman wants us to some how put two wire under each screw terminal. im almost certain this is a code violation but i cant find it in the code. If it is can someone give me an article??

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
installing track lighting on the job(Express clothing store)the in and out feeds are already there. the track lights comes with its own connector to accept the feed and its only enough space for one 12-2. now, where its a feed in and out the foreman wants us to some how put two wire under each screw terminal. im almost certain this is a code violation but i cant find it in the code. If it is can someone give me an article??

The connector would have to be listed for a feed in and feed out. My experience is that those are called live end feeds. I think the problem with in and out is the equipment grounding conductor. The screws for those are often a wrap around screw and will only take one wire. Splicing in that connector is almost impossible.

I would check the manufacturers installation instructions that comes with the live end connector.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The connector would have to be listed for a feed in and feed out. My experience is that those are called live end feeds. I think the problem with in and out is the equipment grounding conductor. The screws for those are often a wrap around screw and will only take one wire. Splicing in that connector is almost impossible.

I would check the manufacturers installation instructions that comes with the live end connector.

I agree. I just installed some Lightolier track today and the EGC terminates on a single screw with absolutely no room for a splice in the track feed end. Maybe AC cable with a duplex connector might work but it would be based on the listing of the track entrance fitting and as to whether or not it can accept more than one cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.