Traffic Signals, NEC or NESC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
When I Googled that type of cable, the one I saw only had 4 conductors. Red, Yellow, Green and Black.
I would have no trouble with the use of such color scheme for that particular application. But I guess some are afraid some handyman may service it some day and it would really confuse him:roll:

Having the right color of signal light on at the right times seems to be a life safety issue to me, and maybe you should be qualified to work on the thing as well.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
When I Googled that type of cable, the one I saw only had 4 conductors. Red, Yellow, Green and Black.

We use either IMSA-5 or -7 conductor cable--depending on the number and configuration of the heads and intersection

IMSA-5--Black, white, red, green and orange
IMSA-7 adds blue and brown

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
We use either IMSA-5 or -7 conductor cable--depending on the number and configuration of the heads and intersection

IMSA-5--Black, white, red, green and orange
IMSA-7 adds blue and brown

Is there such a thing as IMSA-5 or IMSA-7? All the IMSA cables I can find specs for start with 19 or higher.

I did find this color code, which says #7 should be white with a black stripe.

Table 5.1

Straight Conductor Color Code
Cables having more than 21 conductors are identifiable by
their location in the concentric layers in the cable assembly.
Conductor
Number Insulation Color Stripe Color

1 Black -2 White -3 Red -4 Green -5 Orange -6 Blue -7 White Black 8 Red Black 9 Green Black 10 Orange Black11 Blue Black12 Black White13 Red White14 Green White15 Blue White16 Black Red17 White Red18 Orange Red19 Blue Red20 Red Green21 Orange Green

https://www.ptsupply.com/solutions-library/Product Info/imsa-manual.pdf

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
In my area, signal installations are not permitted jobs. If it were private, probably, but there are none here I'm aware of.

If it's a state highway, the DOT has the utility install (GA Power), but usually it's done by their sub-contractor.

City streets are installed and maintained by the city.

DOT signals are not metered.

Anything the utility does here is not permitted or metered (site lighting, etc...); not sure if they use the NEC for that or NESC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Is there such a thing as IMSA-5 or IMSA-7? All the IMSA cables I can find specs for start with 19 or higher.

I did find this color code, which says #7 should be white with a black stripe.

Table 5.1

Straight Conductor Color Code
Cables having more than 21 conductors are identifiable by
their location in the concentric layers in the cable assembly.
Conductor
Number Insulation Color Stripe Color

1 Black -2 White -3 Red -4 Green -5 Orange -6 Blue -7 White Black 8 Red Black 9 Green Black 10 Orange Black11 Blue Black12 Black White13 Red White14 Green White15 Blue White16 Black Red17 White Red18 Orange Red19 Blue Red20 Red Green21 Orange Green

https://www.ptsupply.com/solutions-library/Product Info/imsa-manual.pdf

ok-- Sorry about that--We just call it IMSA-5

On the reel label it is listed as--14-5C IMSA 20-1 STR BC

And yes--the seventh wire is Wh/Bk--I was going from memory and for some reason thought there was a brown before it went striped

Status
Not open for further replies.