Transfer Switch Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
If the ATS board needs to see or use 12VDC, where would that come from using a portable generator?

Years ago I installed a Generac Genny with an ATS and if you didn't have 12 volts where you were supposed to, the ATS would not work even with the generator running.

That's in addition to the possibility of the portable genny not putting out full voltage with no load.

I wish I could see the label better. The diagram may show where the 12 volt conductors are supposed to be connected, if needed.

Ok that may be. I do very little residential ATS work but the GE-Zenith models (ZTX) step down and rectify the emergency line voltage on the motherboard to power the board and transfer the switch. The gen battery 12VDC is there just for starting the gen.

A_Morse

Good point!
On the bottom of the label, if you squint hard enough, it states that transfer will not occur if the OC device (GE breaker?) is tripped due to a fault. Check breaker. :slaphead:

Works! I'm used to a tripped breaker being in a tripped position, this one wasn't. Had it hooked up and running last night and just for sh*ts & giggles flipped that 50A off and back on, voila! Really pretty much feel stupid on that, but I swore I tried that.....:dunce: anyway, it's not set up to run selected circuits, so I have to everything but utility room light off then transfer power and bring fridges, furnace etc online one at a time. Works good, tho, THANKS for all of your time and effort!!

Andy

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Ok that may be. I do very little residential ATS work but the GE-Zenith models (ZTX) step down and rectify the emergency line voltage on the motherboard to power the board and transfer the switch. The gen battery 12VDC is there just for starting the gen.

Since solid state devices use DC, it's always cheaper to use a DC source that is present than to rectify an AC source. So it may be possible that consumer grade devices will use the available 12 volts, but industrial grade devices may be built more for reliability than for price.

Without accurate documentation, it's difficult to know what is needed to make the switch function, so I was just guessing based upon past experience. As a rule of thumb for anything I troubleshoot, if more than one power source is available by design, I try to make sure it is there and goes everyplace it is supposed to.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
ATS Help

ATS Help

Nope, no clue, the whole box is painted over and I couldn't find any meaningful info on the board. Works tho, wife is happy-->house is happy :D

Glad we could help!

Now anybody out there with a heavy industrial unit that we can help you with?
Brands like:
ASCO
GE-Zenith
Russelectric
Kohler
Cummins (Onan)
Eaton (Cutler-Hammer/Westinghouse)
Generac
etc.
100 to 4000A, 480V, 3-phase
Will not transfer,
Nuisance gen start/ & transfer to emer
In phase monitor won't sync between sources
Main Solenoids burnt up due to dried grease/ cheaper to rewire than to replace?
Bypass/ Isolation , open/ closed transition, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.